Tuesday 10 May 2011

Three (Writing) Reads and Sarah Dessen

Today I meet a couple of good friends at the coffee shop. We write, we talk writing,we write, we talk general, we talk out ideas, stuck bits of story. Just like I have not blogged one of my Three (Writing) Reads features in a long while I have not met with them in a long while either. I am so looking forward to the meet up--and to writing this post. So let’s begin.

Revision is on my mind. I am finishing up a picture book revision (finishing a revision? can I really know I’m done???). It was a tough one. I took out parts of that story that have been there for, well, years. And years. They were my babies. My favorite-est parts. The parts I thought I’d never, ever (ever) let go. A meeting with an editor at a conference and a few suggestions later I had the “huh” moment-it was not that she did not like the story. It was that her questions and thoughts made be realize that my favorite-y bits were actually getting in the way of the story. Funny how this happens when you are in looooove with certain parts of your ms. So---kinda looking forward to being in the writer editor relationship (with an agent to help me along the way!

The Writer and Editor Relationship « Ingrid's Notes


Once I’m “done” with Carolina’s story (the picture book) I am going back to a YA paranormal I wrote years ago. Actually going
back to the original idea and starting over. It’s an exercise almost. I am curious to see if the parts that just are not working in KEEPER are because I never originally intended it to be a YA even--it morphed into that (pre-2000, yep, I’ve been working on that particular book that long. Now, it could be that I need to just let go and go down the dark, dark path I seem to be fighting or go back to the original (middle grade, all parents alive, happy family) ghost story (ghost, not so happy, she’s pretty bad and scary, always was). Andrea Mack’s today post is timely....

That's Another Story: So That's What I Planned to Write About!

Speaking of YA (well, a little bit any way) Query Tracker Agent-Judged YA is up and running.

QueryTracker.net: Agent-Judged YA Contest Is Now Open for Submissions!

And speaking of contests/giveaways, check out the Sarah Dessen Week happening right. now

YA bibliophile: Sarah Dessen Week Kick-Off!

All part of Sarah Dessen’s newest release.

YA bibliophile: What Happened to Goodbye Release Day!

If you’ve got time for one more link, here is my giveaway, you have until May 15th to enter-it’s a pick your own Dessen book and I will get a copy to you! (International entries too!)

Just Deb: Sarah Dessen Week Kick-Off-Giveaway

Now, gotta go grab a coffee, have a shower at some point too...my friends do not want to be sitting in Starbucks with a smelly bed head Deb.

Enjoy the day all!

1 comment:

  1. So cool how the right questions/suggestions can help us see our work in a whole new light. :)

    Thanks for the great links!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...