Monday 23 May 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Loch & Reef of Death by Paul Zindel

Happy MMGM everyone! As I write this, preparations (and books I need to order for our wee library) for summer reading club are on my mind. In June I will be visiting our schools and talking about the library in general and summer reading club in particular. The theme this year is SPLASH INTO SUMMER. Two books I am book talking for grade 5, 6 and 7 are LOCH & REEF OF DEATH by Paul Zindel:



From IndieBound: Loch and his sister are with their father on a scientific expedition to track lake monsters. Their father's boss, Anthony Cavenger, a ruthless publishing mogul, is determined to prove that the legends are fact. Until now, it has been a fruitless exercise. But suddenly, on a routine exploration, a hideous water beast explodes out of the water, and a photographer, hoping to get the picture of a lifetime, loses his life instead. The plesiosaurs terrorize the secluded lake community, but Loch encounters a baby plesiosaur and realizes that the monsters only attack when threatened. So he risks his life-and the lives of his family and friends-to save the prehistoric creatures from destruction.


From IndieBound: P.C. McPhee is in Australia to help his uncle solve an underwater mystery involving buried treasure. P.C. quickly figures out that they're not the only ones looking for treasure -- an evil geologist is determined to get her hands on it at any cost. P.C., his uncle, and the Aboriginal girl, Maruul; become ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse where the winner takes all, including the lives of the losers.

Older books, yes, but still _great_ for the upper middle grade crowd. And I swear I am not trying to scare them away from the library and any swimming fun they have planned for the summer. If any of you have a read that you think would fit into the theme of SPLASH INTO SUMMER, I'd love to hear them.

Be sure to check out the rest of the MMGM bloggers. If you look over in my side bar, they lined up and read for you to go, go, go! Please let me know if you are MMGM-er and I will add you to the list. As always a big shout out to Shannon Whitney Messenger for getting us going on this!

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of these two, Deb. But what a great concept! Who doesn't love being scared by underwater sea/lake creatures. Loch (the character) immediately made me think of Loch Ness too!!

    Thanks for the great review and for bringing these novels to my attention--I'm sure at least one of my three boys will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had older books (published in the late 90s, if that's considered older) on my MMGMs the last two weeks also. It's great to remind MG readers of books that have been around for awhile as well as promoting new ones! Thank you for these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Michael and I know on the sea/lake creatures, lol! Creeeeepy!

    I so agree Barbara, mixing it up with old and new is a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look deliciously creepy. I bet my students would love them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, they sound almost too scary for me! I like your enthusiasm, though.

    I reviewed some older books a couple of weeks ago (The Shadow Children sequence) so I agree that it's great to mix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wondered if Nessie could be the descendent of plesiosaurs, so Loch sounds intriguing. Thanks for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...