Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Rotten Adventures of Zachary Ruthless by Alan Woodrow

 










From IndieBound:
Are you rotten enough to read this book? Ha! And I mean that in a laugh-in-your-face, you’re not- really-rotten-at-all way. Have you ever destroyed the planet? Turned earthworms into your personal army of doom? Refused to eat your broccoli and hidden it in your underwear? Well, never mind that last one. I mean, who hasn’t? But still, no one is as rotten as Zachary Ruthless. In fact, his adventures are so rotten you might want to just put this book down now and back away very slowly.




Just call me Deb Ruthless. Yeah, that's right. I'm walking into my book club meeting with this book in hand (well, when it arrives, that is...I read this book on my ipad, I will not be lending my kids that no matter how much I love them and they rock our library's book club). So, like I said, as soon as the book arrives I'll be sharing it with my kids. They are aged 8 to almost thirteen. Everyone, including a couple of my almost 13 year olds will love this because of the humour and the illustrations throughout (including one evil bad dude with freckles in the shape of small rats.) And honestly, I'd love to read this out loud to them. I found it that kind of fun and funny. I won't know for sure what they'll think  until they've read it of course, but here's what I'll say to them to at least get them to try:

Zachary may look all innocent, smiley  and oh how his parents love him, but I tell you now he is anything but innocent smiley good boy. He is an aspiring mastermind ready to take down the world...with a microwave if he has to (other methods cost thousands of dollars you know). Only one problem. His parents are sending him to Good Samaritan camp for the summer?!? Seriously? Yeah, seriously. How's he supposed to take over the world when he has to go to Good Samaritan Camp? Read it...you'll find out. 


And, beware. My kids and I may just be joining him. Taking over the world, not going to you know where. Can't say the "g" word too much you know. It's like Zachary says, you could catch being "g" like a cold... or worms.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I agree, fun fun read. And loved Zachary's henchman. Hope you kids liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Terry! Yes...I hope they like it too. I think they will, but they'll let me know it they don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second time I've seen this one being recommended, and I have to say it looks like fun. Naughty boys usually are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Myrna...yes on the naughty boys. His henchman is pretty funny funny too...even if he only has ordinary freckles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow or other, I'm a female in the guise of a chook who nevertheless loves boy books. I'll add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever disguise, lol.....and yay for growing reading lists!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...