Monday 2 May 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday...BOO!

 I love ghost stories. I know kids who love ghost stories. An all time favorite and one I still book talk is Mary Downing Hahn's WAIT TILL HELEN COMES. 


Heather is a brat. Always getting her new step-siblings, Molly and Michael into trouble. A move to a new house doesn't help. Heather is just as bratty and horrible and now she has a new friend, Helen. Only problem is Helen is a hundred year old ghost who is dangerous...and evil. When Heather starts saying, "You just wait till Helen comes" it's not good. It's bad, real bad. 








I also recently read Mary Downing Hahn's latest, THE GHOST OF CRUTCHFIELD HALL. It did not disappoint and one I highly recommend to fans of the classic ghost story. Hahn knows how to write in the creep factor and make you want to read with all the lights on, including the neighbours! If you are wanting to give kids  an Edgar Allen Poe kind of scare-this would be one to use.












To round out the Marvelous Middle Grade Monday fun, I thought I'd share a couple of blogs I like to follow, in general. Cindy's Love of Books hosts a monthly middle grade reading challenge. What I like about it is she rounds up everyone's reviews for our reading pleasure. There's also Charlotte's Library and her Sunday round-up of science fiction and fantasy reviews for Middle Grade. Blogs made of awesome. Do stop by them if you have time and fill up your middle grade reading coffers.

Oh! And take a swing by my other stomping grounds From the Mixed-Up Files of Middle Grade Authors. Drawing the winner for the Bus Tour, plus today's post lists the May realeases for Middle Grade. A rockin' good month is shaping up. Between that and Children's Book Week starting tomorrow,  it's going to be a blast.

Back to business with more Marvelous Middle Grade Monday posters, including Joanne from My Brain on Books (whose blog I lifted the following list from)

Shannon O'Donnell at Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster at The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen at Write About Now
Brooke Favero at Somewhere in the Middle
Ben Langhinrichs at My Comfy Chair
Ally Beecher at Kid Lit Frenzy


If you've got a recent middle grade read, please share it, or if you've got a MMGM post let me know so I can be sure to link to it. Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've been wanting to read Wait Til Helen Comes, but I didn't know she had another one out. Thanks, Deb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall. I'm excited for Wait Til Helen Comes. I know a couple of MG kids that love ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After joining the MMGM "team" last Monday, I love looking at everyone's recommendations. Only problem is - my TBR list grows and grows. This book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Barbara I hear you on the growing TBR piles, lol! Looking forward to reading your recommends!

    afav--Wait Til Helen Comes is a good, good ghost story...the lake scene when Helen has--well, I shall say no more, it still gives me the creeps!

    Welcome Shannon-her newest is some good ghost story telling. And the ghost in this one is downright bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link, Deb!

    I love Mary Downing Hahn! Haven't read Ghost of Crutchfield Hall yet. Another great book to add to the ever-growing list...

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...