Wednesday 11 May 2011

Favorite Sarah Dessens.

There are many reasons I enjoy Sarah Dessen. As a reader of her books it is about the relationships she portrays, how those relationships are mended, sometimes all the way, sometimes part of the way and always in a way that is real. I never feel like it is an easy fix. That's some good storytelling in my opinion. And, I never feel sorry for her main characters-they are strong, funny-sometimes too strong (if that is possible), thinking they can work through it themselves until they make that tentative reach out for help.

As a recommender of her books I know I am putting a consistently good writer of teen contemporary into the hands of my young patrons (and when I was at the book store, young book buyers). Dessen doesn't write down, she doesn't sugar coat reality-she keeps it real and teens know it.

And I have to say THANK YOU to the organizers of this event, The Reading Housewives of IndianaYA Bibliophile As I go from blog to blog, listening to what others have to say--I realize I've been leaving out a chunk of patrons (is that like a gaggle of geese?) in my recommends-adults. I get so wrapped up in doing the kid and teen thing, I forget and should know better, cause well, I'm a fan of her Sarah Dessen my own self. These are books that will crossover to an older audience, twenties, thirties, forties--yes, even into us fifty types!

So, my favorites?




When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend--the popular and exciting Sophie--she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets owen--a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen's help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?







It's been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents' divorce - or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live. A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she's been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.





When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend--the popular and exciting Sophie--she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets owen--a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen's help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?










Check out my Sarah Dessen giveaway if you have some time in your blogging travels. Happy reading everyone!


9 comments:

  1. I love those ones too! Also, This Lullaby and The Truth About Forever, and... well, you get the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these as well! Lock and Key was a real tearjerker for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 3 favs are: This Lullaby, The Truth About Forever, and Along for the Ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on Lock and Key. It doesn't get the most regognition and I don't know why. If Sarah Dessen decides to write a sequel to one of her books, I want it to be this one. I wanted to know more about the characters. I wanted to keep reading about them. This is the only SD book that left me wanting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I am a lover and big-time recommender of anything Sarah Dessen. I will definitely think about recommending it to more than just my friends :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, all!

    I must must read This Lullaby and Truth About Forever are on a must read list, now.

    And yay on recommending to more that just friends Katelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Deb,
    Thanks for the comment you sent to my blog but the post disappeared for a while today and your comment with it. Could you send it again?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Carl, will do! Yes, it appears blogger was burping, but looks like it's back up and running!

    Thanks for stopping by everyone! Have THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER to read today!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...