Tuesday 3 May 2011

Three (Writing Reads) and Children's Book Week!


Right now I’m putting the finishing touches on a picture book and working on a new (yes, while revising my middle grade--I find when I take a break during the day from one, I like to check in on the other. Really...I suppose I could do some housework during a break, but my muse won’t let me). Even if you are not taking part in NaPiBoWe, I’d recommend taking some time to read the posts from authors and illustrators. Inspiring and much to be learned. 


Great post on writing the hook for your...book! This is something to think about with picture books, too. Especially in the title. Does the title hook, does it give a sense of what the reader will get when they open it up?  As the patron or book buyer is moving along the shelves, looking at titles what is it about yours that stands out, and if the book buyer in particular is on their own and looking for something specific, what is it about your title that tells them you might have what they are looking for? 


Some good food for thought on this one....and if you are struggling with that first novel and thinking it will never be done, maybe it has already taught you what it needed to and it’s time to move on to the second novel, taking what you learned with the first on with you. Of course, this isn’t the case for everyone--but, I’d dare say there are a few learning novels tucked away in all of our drawers.


And finally...It’s Children’s Book Week! Why not jump in and have some fun.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I visited all the site. Have a great writing week/ If you haven't read any Carol Hughes, you might want to check this out. http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-author-carol-hughes.html

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...