Monday 9 January 2012

MMGM-A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park



As I was reading for the Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon, I felt like I was back in "the day" when I would prepare for a series of school visits. I would always want to go in with new book talks and be reading the books I knew kids were, so we could connect and talk after the visit. (And of course a good way to build trust I found, I could more easily recommend other titles based on what they told me they liked about their favorites.


One of my all time favorite reads and book talks was for Linda Sue Park's A Single Shard.From Indiebound:Tree-ear is fascinated by the celedon ware created in the village of Ch’ulp’o. He is determined to prove himself to the master potter, Min—even if it means making a solitary journey to present Min’s work in the hope of a royal commission . . . or arriving at the royal court with nothing but a single celadon shard. A beautifully told tale about a boy's journey and determination to become a master potter. Kids know what it is like to want something as badly as Tree-ear does and they want him to succeed as much as he does. It's a tale of adventure and survival, too, a story of of the underdog the hero.

Speaking of journey's! As you travel cyberspace today do check out the MMGM crew along the way.


Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental NovelistShannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now 
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn

GINA CAREY

7 comments:

  1. I adored this book~ thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but now you've convinced me that I need to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't read this one yet, either! thanks for recommending it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all-time favorite MG novels! Yay! Love this book. I think it was the first book I read when I started working at the bookstore, which was nearly ten years ago.

    Thanks for the lovely reminder, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice. I saw Linda speak at a SCBWI conference once. She was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I featured A Single Shard as well last year. However my cover was different. I love how this one looks though :)

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...