Monday 2 January 2012

MMGM 2012 & Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon

It's the first Marvelous Middle Grade Monday of the year. Yay, I say! Hats off to Shannon Whitney Messenger who got us all rolling along this path and who helped me fine tune our shiny new badge, which you are welcome to grab and use in your posts or sidebar or both. MMGM is growing and it's a wonderful way to highlight middle grade. And there is so much out there to love. 2012 promises to be even better. Following are are few links that are just the tip of the book pile.

Looking forward:
The Ten Middle Grade Novels I’m Looking Forward to in 2012 « A Fuse #8 Production
Charlotte's Library: New releases of fantasy and science fiction for kids and teens--the first half of Janury, 2012 edition
Looking back:
The Nerdies Middle Grade Fiction 2011 List
Cybils: 2011 Finalists Middle Grade Fiction
Cybils: 2011 Finalists Nonfiction for Tweens & Teens


MMGM was also the reason I was inspired to host my first ever Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon. Over the year I've read so many great reviews and features that the TBR pile has grown...and grown. You can sign up for this anytime, from now until next Sunday. Read one middle grade, read ten. I only ask that you commit as much time as you can to reading middle grade this week.  Oh--and there are giveaways!

On with Marvelous Middle Grade Monday. My first pick for 2012 is one that was in my TBR for the readathon. It's out now, 'cause I read it. Loved it, too because of Maple-she is full of spunk and determination to provide her new baby sister the miracle she needs to live. And, the relationship she has with her older sister Dawn is so realistic-a love and "I can't stand you" thing going on there. They will work it out when they both venture out to find that miracle. Naturally it won't be easy, not like Maple thought. Back in a few hours? No-lightening storm, rain, rapids--poachers, bear (and let me tell you that scene and bear are so well done! I can still see him and feel the girls fear. Well, fear except for when Maple screams him off. Have I mentioned I love her character?) One final note-the voice is bang on, making for a great classroom or family  read-a-loud. Lots of laughter, drama, suspense, tears-repeat.

More on FLUTTER by Erin E. Moulton Indie Bound.Org: Big things are about the happen at Maple's house. Mama's going to have a baby, which means now there will be four Rittle sisters instead of just three. But when baby Lily is born too early and can't come home from the hospital, Maple knows it's up to her to save her sister. So she and Dawn, armed with a map and some leftover dinner, head off down a river and up a mountain to find the Wise Woman who can grant miracles. Now it's not only Lily's survival that they have to worry about, but also their own. The dangers that Maple and Dawn encounter on their journey makes them realize a thing or two about miracles-and about each other.

Erin is a fellow Mixed Up Files blogger. You can learn more about her on Erin E. Moulton.Com.

Don't forget to check out my MMGM peeps (let me know if I've missed listing you). Happy New Year, all!

Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Ms. Yingling-Ms. Yingling Reads
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental NovelistShannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now 
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn



14 comments:

  1. I'm middle grade all the time over at Ms. Yingling Reads! (http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-new-year-and-nonfiction-monday_02.html) It almost doesn't seem fair to do a middle grade challenge, since that is all I read anyway. Thanks for hosting it, and I'll have to sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for the heads up. Can't believe I missed you given I read your blog almost every week!

    I say all is fair in love of reading...sign up away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found FLUTTER to be beautifully written but a little too frightening! Must be just me. It reminded me of the movie Deliverance. And I agree that Maple is a wonderful character and full of spunk. But she's only 9 years old -- not sure an 11 year old or 12 year old would want to read about her. Conventional wisdom says that kids want to read about characters slightly older than they are, or the same age.

    Of course, there are always exceptions! And Erin's writing is gorgeous. Good choice, Deb.

    Good luck with the readathon. I'm immersed in reading YA right now for the Class of 2K12 interviews I'm doing so I won't sign up. But I can still cheer all of you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I was intrigued by FLUTTER and wanted to read it. I just couldn't get through my TBR pile fast enough.
    Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might just have to join the MMGM madness this year, though I'll probably have to ease into it. Yay for MG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Flutter yet - it sounds like a great read for my class. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great list, Deb. So love those middle grade books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb,
    You missed me - Lisa Ard writing at Adventures in Writing & Publishing, www.dreamseekeradventures.com/blog.

    I just finished Legend, by Marie Lu. Check out my review on my blog. Loved it. Now I'm on to Peter Nimble and his Fantastic Eyes.
    This is great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh! I really want to do the read-a-thon but I'm still at 80% on A Dance with Dragons! Curse you George Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shiny new MMGM badge, Deb.

    I'd love to join you, but I o'ded on MG during the Cybils period, and am now actually reading an adult book, Brady Udall's "The Lonely Polygamist." But I'm with the MG readathon in spirit. Go Readathoners!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only Cybil mg finalist I've read is Warp Speed. I look forward to reading the others

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rew years resolutions anyone? http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/pen-and-ink-official-new-years.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the badge! This book sounds sweet and I love the cover as well.

    I didn't realize your Middle Grade Marathon was only one week! Sadly, I can't join b/c I'm a delinquent author and my publisher is going to wallop me soon if I don't get my final rewrite in. (I've been sick for 3 days, too)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Danika! Yes on this length of time. Sorry you've been sick. Wondered if that was the case and then wondered if it was a looming deadling...it's both. If you can join us with one or two reads even on Sunday, it still works! On the other hand don't want your ed. thumping you, lol!

    Yo Michael!! Thanks for all that hard work on round one of the Cybils! Great short list I must say.

    Too funny on George Martin, Anglehorn...on the other hand his books are kind of FABULOUS. He has a middle grade btw...for the younger set, so might be closer to a chapter book.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...