Monday 2 January 2012

Middle Grade Read-a-thon-Day One Round Up



Really enjoyed this first day of the read-a-thon. Tween work and blogging I got one book read and it was a gooder.  BIGGER THAN A BREAD BOX by Laurel Snyder. I will be sharing this with the middle grade book club at my old library.

My Booktalk : 12 year old Rebecca will be completely relatable-trying to figure out her place in the world  and trying to do it after her mom leaves her dad. Fitting in at her new school, dealing with her anger towards her mom and navigating the road between her real self (Rebecca) and her new made up self (Becky) isn't easy. But she isn't doing it alone. Helping her along the way is a...bread box. Yes. A bread box she finds amongst a collection of them in her Grandmother's attic. What can a bread box do you ask? Well, how about grant wishes. Wishes that have to fit inside of it, but wishes none the less. Money. New clothes, cool clothes. Ipod. Even a special gift for her mother who Becky is trying really hard to stay mad at. And how about helping her get popular? Really popular. Unfortunately things don't work out that way. In fact, it makes everything a whole lot worse and when she tries to set things right? Well...things get even worse.

Happily, I am not the only one taking part in the MG Read-a-thon this week. Here's a round up of posts and participants, some who are regular MG readers and some who are challenging themselves to pick a few or more. Big thanks to all who a taking part and those cheering us on! I've linked to some of the #mgreadathon posts:

The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia: Marvelous Middle Grade Read-A-Thon
Geo Librarian: Marvelous Middle Grade Readathon
Middle grade readathon « Extreme Reading and Writing
Angelhorn
Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon-January 2, 2012-January 8, 2012 | Nye Louwon – My Spirit
Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon! | Adventures in Writing & Publishing
The Space Between: Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon Jan 2 - 8, 2012

Needless to say, my to read list is growing!

Onward to Day # 2! And, just a quick reminder you can sign up at any time this week. Read one book, read three, read ten. If you read a lot of middle grade, use this as a catch up time. If you don't read a lot of middle grade..let us inspire you with some suggestions or pick up an old favorite to re-read and share.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of this and want to read it. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Natalie! It's one I think you would like...and the way she brings everything together at the end...it was a wow for me. That BreadBox is somethin', lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if my 12 year old daughter Rebecca would like it...;)
    Looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish my library had Bigger Than a Bread Box, it looks quite interesting.

    My list of books I want to read keeps growing when I visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...