Friday 6 January 2012

Middle Grade Read-thon Day 6 and Day 5 Round-Up

Happy Day 6 of the Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-thon. It's been a fabulous week of seeing what everyone is reading and celebrating Middle Grade! Day six post is a short one to start us off. I am going to be coming back through out the day to update what I've finished, what I've started. Pretty excited about this. Have some old books that have been in my to read piles for too long and have some brand new ones that are coming out in the next couple of weeks (ones I've been looking forward to).

EDITING TO ADD- wonderful blog to check out. Totally missed this one in the initial post. Will add it there...and here!

The O.W.L.-Outrageously Wonderful Literature From the Middle Grades

Not sure if I've mentioned this, one thing I want to do this year is start a book club for 8-12 year olds in the small community I've moved to, hopefully it's  up and running by the next read-a-thon we do. I'd love to involve them.
Round-up Day 5









And Shannon is discovering the amazing of the Hunger Games. It really is a series that crosses all reading interests. I know boys, in particular (one 12, one almost 13) who don't like to read, er, except for those books. Or, I should say didn't like to read--with them Hunger Games was a gateway book. I'd also recommend her Underland Chronicles, a middle grade fantasy series. I had a young girl in another book club years ago. She didn't like to read she told me. I told her it was okay to come to the club, maybe we'd find something she liked someday. Well. Gregor the Overlander stepped in and boom...she went from not taking away any books I took in to wanting to be first on anything I booktalked. (Oh, I didn't book talk Gregor, she found that one on her own, I always encouraged her to wander around the shelves, pull books out, try it, if she didn't like it or couldn't finish it that was _okay_.)

You can still sign up for this read-a-thon and all the giveaways as we are reading until tomorrow at midnight (mst).

Hah! And that's a short post from me? Cheers and Happy Reading All!

7 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! Very ambitious and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. I must say it has been a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed away from The Hunger Games for a long time because I was kind of horrified by the description of it, but I finally caved when so may friends were talking about it. It's amazing, and I do recommend it, but still has that level of horrifying all the same, which is probably why it's so WOW! I've had Gregor for awhile and just not had a chance to read it, and now I really want to since I realized it was the same author!

    Thanks for the read-a-thon Deb, I'm probably on my last book as weekends are pretty busy for me, but I've had fun, your posts have been great, and I look forward to another read-a-thon with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gregor the Overlander? Hmmm I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blew it! My fourth (and final) book this week was not middle-grade. Read the 2 things about the book that fooled me (at first) plus my review of Rapacia: The Second Circle of Heck at http://www.dreamseekeradventures.com/blog/?p=406

    It's been a fun week of reading. Thanks Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman, I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped, but it was still okay. I've started Dumpling Days by Grace Lin and am loving it. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you enjoy Dumpling Days, Heidi!

    Lisa..you didn't blow it! And, that is a series I've been meaning to read for a long time now, so I just bought the first one. Looking forward to reading it!

    Yes on Gregor--I'm reading it, too. Kind of ashamed of myself for not doing it before now. Esp. knowing the impact it had on one of my young book clubbers.

    Welcome on the read-a-thon, Shaunesay! Glad you could join in

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...