Monday 16 January 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Eliot and the Goblin War by Jennifer A. Neilsen

To start us off to day, I am sharing the first sentence of Eliot and the Goblin War by Jennifer A. Neilsen (a fellow From the Mixed Up Files blogger!), illus. Gideon Kendell:  "As of today, there are only seven children who have ever read this book and lived to tell about it." Seriously, how could you not keep reading. And how fun is that to read out loud to whatever group or child you may be sharing with? Plus, you're a fan of Roddy Doyle's (Giggler Treatment) humour, I'm pretty sure you'll like this one. 
To wet your appetite a little more here is the description from Indie Bound that takes you beyond the first line:
WARNING
As of today, there are only 7 CHILDREN who have ever read this book and lived to tell about it. 95 CHILDREN successfully read the first chapter, but upon beginning chapter 2, they started BLABBERING in some language known only as "flibberish." 38 CHILDREN made it halfway through this wretched book before they began SUCKING THEIR THUMBS THROUGH THEIR NOSES.
If you're VERY BRAVE, perhaps you are willing to TAKE YOUR CHANCES. Be sure that you have told your family who gets your favorite toys if you DO NOT SURVIVE this book. Read it now, IF YOU DARE. But don't say you haven't been warned, for this is the story that unfolds the MYSTERIES OF THE UNDERWORLD.

In other words, be brave be very very brave. I am an adult. I survived. Barely. But-I will not tell you to not read this book. Why? Because it is too good not to! Besides, if you want to read the next in the series, I recommend reading the first. Will help justify booking yourself a bed at the St. Phobics Hospital. More about Eliot and the Pixie Plot from IndieBound:
An entire floor of St. Phobics Hospital for Really Scared Children has been set aside just for readers of this book. You may wish to take a minute before you start reading and reserve yourself a bed there.
As you read, you may begin to understand myctophobia (mic-tofo- be-a), or the fear of darkness. However, do not expect this book to help you with arachibutyrophobia (a-rak-i-something-be-a), the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.
If you can't get yourself to St. Phobics, then get every lamp, flashlight, and lantern you can find and drag them into your bedroom. Turn them all on. You'll need them until you're certain there is nothing lurking in the dark. At least, that's what Elliot wishes he had done.


Wish me luck as I venture into book two. I shall return!


Check out more MMGM Marvelousness:


Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental NovelistShannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn

Gina Carey



20 comments:

  1. I will be reading this book before the end of 2012 for sure, because it keeps coming up on MMGM recommendations. :)
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy book 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Akoss! I am surely looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Love the start of the book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and me too on the start, rest of the warning is gloriously funny too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you blogged about these books! Just in the last couple of weeks, I've had requests for these books at the bookstore -- and we don't carry them! Now, armed with your recommendation, I will press the owner/buyer into buying them, for sure.

    Thanks, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible first line. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks adorable! i hadn't heard of this one yet - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy it, Natalie.

    Welcome Joanne! Happy selling...

    I know on that first line, Barbara. Looove it, lol. In fact that whole opening warning is marvelous, lol!

    Welcome, Gina and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first Percy Jackson started in a similar way. What kid can resist a warning like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the P/J book and yes on not being able to resist. I know the the kid in me couldn't either!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, which gets me thinking, it would be fun to do a whole post on books that warn kids to not open and read them or at least be warned it could be dangerous!

      Delete
  8. I think my nieces and nephews would like this book. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this, Russ...you're welcome and hope your nieces and nephews enjoy it. They might also like, then, Roddy Doyle's The Giggler Treatment (and others in that series!)

      Delete
  9. I love finding new books to read here! Thanks!!

    Also, there are two awards for you over on my blog, to do with as you will! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna and love that you are finding more books to read...that's what it's all about!

      Delete
  10. This one looks SO great! I really need to pick it up one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a sucker for a great opening sentence!
    Kathy Cannon Wiechman (Swagger Writers)

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...