Sunday 5 May 2013

MMGM and a #MiddleGradeMay Check-in

It's May! It's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday (brainchild of the fab Shannon Messenger) AND it is time for our first #MiddleGradeMay Reading Challenge Check-in. So, this post is doing double duty.



My reading is coming along. Here is where I am at so far.

Never Girls # 1: In a Blink by Kiki Thorpe

From Good Reads:

The smell of salt water, a gust of seabreeze, and the bell-like ringing of a fairy's laugh are the only hints that something magical is happening to Kate, Mia, Lainey, and Gabby. In a blink of an eye, the four friends are whisked out of their ordinary lives to the most wonderful place of all—Never Land, home to fairies, mermaids . . . and now four lost girls. The girls don't want to leave right away, but Queen Clarion and Tinker Bell have figured out a way for them to get home. 



What I thought:

For the younger middle grade set. It is in fact a chapter book series, but one I can see kids up to grade four being interested in. Might be especially good for those who are struggling some with their reading. Love the portrayal of the sibling relationship and how that plays out. Loved the realness of the world created and oh my the details are captivating as is the adventure. Now, what is really interesting is my grandson and husband really enjoyed this, too! My grandson (8) even put down his game of minecraft to listen to this one. Yes. You heard me right. The book was on my kindle so needless to say it didn't look girlie to him. I wonder if I could have convinced him to check it out if I had pulled it from the shelve? I am thinking not, but it is hard to say. Must test this out. Needless to say he settled right in and enjoyed every bit of this book! Also, I must add that I love this cover. Looking forward to the rest of the series and being able to place it in the hands of young readers.

Heck Where the Bad Kids Go by Dale E. Basye 

From Good Reads:


WHEN MILTON AND Marlo Fauster die in a marshmallow bear explosion, they get sent straight to Heck, an otherworldly reform school. Milton can understand why his kleptomaniac sister is here, but Milton is—or was—a model citizen. Has a mistake been made? Not according to Bea “Elsa” Bubb, the Principal of Darkness. She doesn’t make mistakes. She personally sees to it that Heck—whether it be home-ec class with Lizzie Borden, ethics with Richard Nixon, or gym with Blackbeard the Pirate—is especially, well, heckish for the Fausters. Will Milton and Marlo find a way to escape? Or are they stuck here for all eternity, or until they turn 18, whichever comes first?

What I thought:

Oh my oh my I really enjoyed the darkly grimmly-ness of this. The humour was spot on and witty. That is, however, the adult me who loves it when dark and humour are mixed together. I do believe it's called black humour. For some middle graders, though, the dark funny might be too much and be just too scary. It is vivid and so incredibly well done my writer hat is definitely off.  I would say pick and choose your young readers for this one. Fans of Coraline would really enjoy this, I think. Skullduggary Pleasant fans also come to mind.  One thing is for sure, I'm a grown up fan! Why did I wait so long to start on this series? Not sure, but glad I finally got that start.

Oh My God Mother-The Glitter Trap by Barbara Brauner and James Iver Mattson 




From Good Reads:

Middle school is far from a fairytale for adorkable misfit Lacey Unger-Ware. When Lacey ends up with popular girl Paige Harrington's smart-mouthed fairy godmother, Katarina, trapped in her hair, life gets more magical--just not in a 'prince charming' kind of way. 
Katarina's wings are too damaged to continue her fairy duties, and Lacey must take over as Paige's fairy godmother. Distracted by her new responsibilities, Lacey's in danger of losing her best friend, Sunny. Can Lacey get the hang of magic, make Paige's dreams come true, and survive middle school? 

What I thought:

Great cover and the insides to deliver the promise it makes. Surviving middle school and the up and downs of friendship is something many a tween girl can relate to and as I read this I thought the authors did a wonderful job of showing the humour, the heartache, the fun, the growth that today's middle grader/tween experiences. The authors know who they are writing for. Add in some magic and the MC having to become her arch nemesis's new fairy godmother you have a series that is going to gain and keep a following. On a personal not this definitely spoke to the tween that still takes up residence in my head. Do add this to your to read list.

Have a couple more to share but am going to save those for later in the week.

NOW, on to the check-in part that gets you even more entries into the prize packs. All you need to do is let me know in the comments section for this post what you read or if you have a blog post leave the link so we can all go check it out!

And, if you are here from Shannon's blog, here is the link to head on back and do feel free to join in the Middle Grade May Reading Challenge...read one book, read ten or more, it is entirely up to you.

Happy Reading!



29 comments:

  1. I do have a review of My Summer of Pink and Green up at http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2013/05/middle-grade-monday-my-summer-of-pink.html. And you know I pretty much only read middle grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading over to give your review a read! And yes on the mostly middle grade reading...you have an auto entry into the grand prize draw, lol!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've been reading some great books. OMG, The Glitter Trap sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the OMG The Glitter Trap...really was good and so captured the ups and crazy downs of middle school.

      Delete
  3. Fun to see what you've been reading! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck Where the Bad Kids Go sounds funny!

    I finished up Close to Famous by Joan Bauer, which was cute, but it didn't blow me away like the one I reviewed:

    http://jenniferpickrell.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/middlegrademay-stepping-on-the-cracks-by-mary-downing-hahn/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Downing Hahn is...amazing! And yes on Heck. Just my kind of humour.

      Delete
  5. Here's my link:

    http://geolibrarian.blogspot.com/2013/05/marvelous-middle-grade-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look pretty interesting. I just read Plunked by Michael Northrup. If you like baseball, you will like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree on the baseball part...if you like it, you will like the book.

      Delete
  7. How interesting that your grandson liked In a Blink because he didn't see the cover! And I've heard of Plunked and the Heck book, I think I need to put them on my list.

    I read Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett this week. There were some aspects I really liked, but overall I felt vaguely unsatisfied by it. So Flash did not recommend it on his blog. He recommended an early middle-grade one I read in April, Alvin Ho. Here's the link: http://wp.me/p1wS7s-sz
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I stopped by and said this on your blog...but, yes yes on Alvin! Love him. I quite liked Chasing Vermeer, but did read it a long time ago and there are many more of that type of book out now. Would be interesting to re-read it.

      Delete
  8. Good for you! I would have loved to join, but I knew in advance my schedule did not permit enough time. So I continue to slowly read MG, usually late, late at night when the rest of my house is sound asleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so some shhhhh time amidst the zzzzzzzzzz time. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  9. Ha! You are on a roll lady!!! :)
    What I've read so far: THREE TIMES LUCKY
    It's fun, very lively with characters and a setting I didn't want to leave once I reached the end of the book.

    I'm currently a few pages into two other books, but I'm saving those for next check in.
    ---
    Now talking about your reads, I've been meaning to read Heck for over a year now. I just kept forgetting about it.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three Times Lucky is on my list, too! It's waiting for me at the library right now.

      Delete
    2. That is exactly what I did with Heck! Then I got it and kept moving it down my list. Needless to say I am glad I finally got to it. And boy, we do love THREE TIMES LUCKY...fan club!

      Delete
  10. Hello.

    I'm having technical difficulties at wordpress. This is my first time trying to blog from my iPad. Something went awry and neither the iPad keyboard or the bluetooth would continue to type. I was able to delete some words (to my chagrin) but not add them back or add more. So, I apologize that the post I published is a hackneyed partial of what I wanted to discuss. :(

    Here are the highlights:

    THE FALSE PRINCE - 25% through
    EYE OF THE CROW - a few chapters in
    DOUBLE VISION - next in line
    THEODORE BOONE - next in line

    Some things of note. These are all male protags, which is fine because I have projects in revision that have male protags (two MG and one YA). Another thing I noticed was that there are similarities in the books. The first two are considered period pieces (if not SF, or both) while the latter two are contemporary. However, the alternating titles have similar circumstances and protag personas. I'll get into that when I'm able to get to a computer and fix my post tomorrow. :)

    I like THE FALSE PRINCE because the protag's voice grabbed me on the first page. It's written in first person past tense, and despite it taking place in a made up land, it came off as a fresh delivery. EYE OF THE CROW takes some digesting, however. I love Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps, I have his eccentricities ingrained in my mind, but I had trouble picturing him as a boy, especially the way he spoke and acted. The major element that I'm adjusting to is that it's written in third person, present tense. That's a first for me.

    I do have female protags I want to read about. The following are on the TBR list:

    DORK DIARIES
    THE GIRL WHO CIRCUMNAVIGATED FAIRYLAND...

    My current WIP is a fairytale mash-up so I don't want to read any fairytale inspired books so as not to meddle with my muse.


    I like the list of books I've seen here and happily my TBR pile keeps growing higher.


    Cheers,

    Tonette

    (Sorry again for the glitch in my wordpress blog. I'll get that sorted as soon as I get access to a real computer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the growing TBR pile! I think mine is growing tenfold and that is a good thing. Have not read EYE OF THE CROW yet but it is on my list to read this month, too. Also reading Girl Who Circumnavigated and the sequel.

      False Prince grabbed me for the same reasons you stated. Will be interested to see what you think of Theodore Boon. Grisham is a great writer, not sure his forte is MG, though.

      Delete
  11. I finished two books in week one (that much closer to my goal of 10). They were:
    -Jo Schmo: Wyatt Burp Rides Again
    -Ten Good And Bad Things About My Life So Far

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for your goal of ten!! I must, must check out Jo Schmo! What is that? Oh, the sound of my to read pile growing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Deb, you read a lot! I love the idea of Lost Girls instead of Lost Boys in Neverland.

    I read four books during Screen-Free Week, but the first one was a YA (and I read it on April 29 and 30, so it wouldn't count for your challenge anyway).

    Then in May I read:
    -Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made (blog post link: http://mybrainonbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/timmy-failure-mistakes-were-made.html)
    -Mudshark by Gary Paulsen
    -Sideways Stories from Wayside School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my I love the Sideways Stories...must check out the other two. Me too on the Lost Girls!

      Delete
  14. This is great! I'm not much on MG (if only I had more time) BUT my daughter is picky and I'm always looking for good recs for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol on your daughter. let me know what kind she likes (course she may start reading and not like the book!) I could recommend some and don't mind sending you some of what I have. Heck...no reason we couldn't include her if you think she might like to join in. Let me know!

      Delete
  15. All of these sound fun! I especially want to read Heck Where the Bad Kids Go. The cover and your review have me curious. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yes on Heck...gads, I thought it was a great book. Creepy, gruesome and funny...not for the faint of heart, would have loved it as an older mg reader. As a younger mg reader it would have scared the pants off a me, lol! Feel free to jump into #middlegrademay anytime!

      Delete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...