Sunday 18 October 2015

24 Hour Readathon-A quick wrap up and Closing Survey

I woke up around 2 thinking I could keep on a reading and blog hop cheering. I got a graphic novel read a blog written then then fell asleep shortly after this post. And when I say fell asleep I mean right past the final hour (6:00 AM ) and into this one (7:30 AM).

But I must say it was a fantastic readathon. I cannot thank the organizers, event hosts and cheerleaders enough. Already looking forward to the next one.


In the end I read three novels (two MG and one YA), almost four graphic novels (all YA) and started listening to Rick Riordan's latest The Sword of Summer: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard. One of my students bought her own copy and is reading it, loving it and I can see why. It's funny, it's about the Norse Gods and as always the author immediately creates a character you want to read about. And this is to say nothing of the BEST chapter headings ever. Her words (the students) and now mine.

On to The Closing Survey:

Which hour was most daunting for you? Without a doubt hour 11 to 18 I was dragging and my brain was done reading. 
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? One I would highly recommend is The distance between lost and found by Kathryn Holmes. 
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? I don't. You all set the bar pretty high.
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Although this is really my first time cheerleading, I thought the spreadsheet system worked well.
How many books did you read? In total I completed five and started two others.
What were the names of the books you read? The Iron Trial/The distance between lost and found/Through the Woods/In Real Life/The Copper Guantlet. The ones I didn't quite get done are Rapunzel's Revenge and The Sword of Summer
Which book did you enjoy most? The distance between lost and found
Which did you enjoy least? In Real Life
If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I found what worked well for me was read an hour, cheerlead for fifteen with give and take on each time.
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? For on participating next time and wouldn't mind trying to host a mini challenge!
Now, my fuzzy brain and I are off to read some wrap up posts from other participants and make some notes on how I am going to do this next time, because there will be a nest time oh yes there will. Until then....Happy Reading (and Resting)!

2 comments:

  1. There was a time when I could stay awake all night and read through the entire event. However, as I've gotten older, I find that if I don't take myself to bed, I just fall asleep in my chair!

    You read quite a bit in the 24 hours, even if you did take a nap or two. I like the looks of the new Riordan book. I'll have to track down the audio for sure.

    Welcome back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on the readathon and yep on fall asleep in chair, lol! Do check out the audio of the new Riordan, the narrator's voice and reading style are bang on!

      Delete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...