Saturday 17 October 2015

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon-Checking In


The reading continues as does the love for Kathryn Holmes' The Distance Between Lost and Found. It is a story about survival on all different levels including survival after getting lost in the mountains. The author weaves it all together and some of the symbolism in it gives me wow moments. Glad it was one of my readathon picks! And now I can see even more connections for the students who read and loved it. Faith, going to bible camp, wilderness survival (many have attended a summer camp for this)...making new friends, repairing broken friendships....and for Hallie the struggle with keeping her faith after being assaulted and everyone believing the story the boy tells. A read I highly recommend.



Forgot to mention that I started off by finishing up The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. Another student favorite (grades 7-10) and I can see why. What  hero, likeable, no confidence in himself, making friends for the first time ever and you just know that he is going to be some kind of powerful mage. And a rather cool and major twist always makes for a bang up ending.




This year I have been doing the cheerleading for blogs. Quite fun going to #teamsycamore's list and working my way through the blogs to visit. Quite manageable too. Have a system of read for an hour,
cheerlead for fifteen. So far, so good and what a pleasure to visit other blogs!

3 comments:

  1. The iron trial looks so good, I need to read more Holly Black. Hope you're having a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good indeed! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for dropping by my blog -- it's fun to see the cheerleaders. Lots of kids want survival books so I will have to check out TDBLaF.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...