Sunday 8 April 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-An Author Talks Genre and School Visits




Welcome to another Marvelous Middle Grade Monday.  And today's post is doing double duty for me as the latest addition to Oh MG/YA Canada. 

Jane Buttery is visiting. She kindly sent me a copy of her book and also agreed to answer some questions I had for her for MMGM Authors Talk Genre & School Visits.

Before we get to the questions, here is a little bit more about her book from her website:

Can you guess what happens in a small town in 1846 when a Black schoolboy Josh befriends a poor Irish immigrant, Seamus? It is not surprising when the locals don’t approve. It was in fact a time of growing prejudice and led to the Separate Schools Act of 1850. 

Josh, who is a dedicated student, suffers bullying by the others who don’t want him at their inter-racial school. The school boys even gang up on Seamus when he sticks up for Josh. But throughout the experiences the two boys become strong friends; they discover a common love of music and, towards the end of the story, they have quite a journey together.

The author seeks to bring you a slice of life in Upper Canada, relating it to real facts about the town as it becomes an important small port and a refuge for those fleeing from slavery or from starvation in Ireland. 

This is certainly a book that will spark an interest in history (I know it peaked mine!), filled with stories from the time...and all tied together in the friendship of two boys.

My questions:
  1. Your book was clearly well researched. When writing historical fiction how do you plot out your story and use history to pull it all together. The research involved must be massive and daunting while satisfying?
  2. You do school visits with your book. What has the response of the kids been like. Any favorite moments you'd like to share?
  3. Any advice for those embarking school visits and those who might be quite nervous about it?
Jane's answers: 

 1.Research: I have a degree in history and love doing research. I used a local source called HEIRS to which I belong as well as the internet and various books. If you look at the back page117, the references  there, reveal the variety.

The plot came from a story I heard a HEIRS(Harrow Early Immigrant Research Society) about an inter-racial school. I was intrigued. I also knew James Alexander was a black grocer on Bathurst Street next to the church.

THE PLOT: As I like 'backing' the underdog, I was happy to use a black boy (who did exist but I made him a bit older) who may have gone to the school. I knew his father was Peter Stokes who got land in the new settlement (Harrow). We know that Mr. Fry's son probably went there.  I also wanted to show how prejudice grew and how some people felt when new immigrants came. The year 1846 was a good point for this as the Irish were forced to seek help in Canada.

As I wrote, it seemed good to give equal weigh to Seamus and Josh so I planned a chapter for each and a time when they got together. I also wanted to show a little earlier history and that's why chapter 5 is about the 1838 rebellion and chapter 10 about the family's escape in the 1830's.

2. INTEREST: On school visits, teachers have asked me to talk about the background history as this fits into the curriculum so I do a Power point presentation and then read passages. 

Students find the 1838 rebellion chapter interesting told from Mr Fry's view about the capture of the schooner Anne on Jan 8th 1838. At school, they said there was still prejudice and bullying. 

I discussed the book in depth with home schoolers who asked all kinds of questions. They were white but identified with Josh easily. Someone asked me about writing a sequel about Josh. I'm glad they liked him. They also found the fire story interesting and asked how true it might be. We really don't know how the fire began.

3.ADVICE:a) I wish I'd started with the home group as they were most involved. The school children had had the book read to them at first and then, those interested continued reading it...so they weren't as familiar with it.

b) I was a teacher so approaching a school was easier for me and the book involved some of grade 6/7curriculum which interested the teachers at that level .NO NEED to be nervous. Tell yourself 'I know more about this than they do!'

c) I may go initially for a Readathon and be asked to come back. This has happened in 2 schools.

d) I suppose I try to sell a visit but showing how I can help them encourage interest in history and historical fiction. I send out a newsletter to schools once a year about my workshops a all levels.They love visitors during education week.

I also offer a book at a big discount or give away a book . Sometimes I do a follow up, asking students to say what they think might happen to Josh or Seamus next and then I offer a book for one good entry. I read the entries! I hope this is not too wordy . Nowadays I find it more exhausting to go to students for a day ( I do a variety when I go) so I go to outside group and sell quite well that way.

Not too wordy, Jane! I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. All best with the continued success of your book and thanks to all those who've stopped by for a read!

Happy MMGM all and for those of you with today off...enjoy! Here is some more marvelous for y'all to check out:

Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental Novelist 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn
Gina Carey
T.L. Conway

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Deb & Jane for a great interview. Sounds like you've got a great perspective on how to make the presentation to kids interesting Jane since you enjoy history and are a teacher. Thanks for sharing about your book which sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a google alert set on "Middle grade historical fiction," and was delighted to read this interview! My favorite books combine history and a compelling story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love history in a story! This sounds like a great book. Thank you for the interview too; I hope one day I'm able to do author visits in schools--what a great way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. This sounds like a great historical MG. It's interesting how coming across historical details leads to story ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing
    children love the underdog
    it is also a good teaching tool

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...