Wednesday 8 February 2012

Three Writing Reads and Blog appearance

Been a while since I have done one of these posts, so thought it about time I got back into the habit.
Working on a synopsis for critique session I have at an upcoming conference. I wrote this synopsis as I wrote the actual book. It helps me get the whole story in my head for those times it is simmering away between revisions. I thought it would make polishing the synopsis easier. Nope. At least not for me. That’s okay. I’ve just come to the conclusion working out a synopsis does not come easy for me. Hence I am glad for articles (and his entire website actually) like this one:

My current middle grade is requiring some serious world building because of the level of paranormal in it. I’m creating a whole new movement out of early spiritualism (1850’s) that created Howling Heights (the place my MC, Happy, lives). Was pleased to come across this article today! It has me thinking I need to do more on paper. Out where I can see it, if that makes sense. A lot of what I’ve created is on the computer and in my head. Even thinking that I could create a Spiritualist Handbook (secret of course, because the town founders were baddies).

Most of you are probably already familiar with this next blog. Harry Potter for Writers. I’m taking a course from Susan this month. Kind of love her site. Whether you are a fantasy writer or not you can learn much from what Susan has to say.

Finally, a totally random “thing” from me.
A confession.
I play around with my blog appearance…a lot. Too much. Wondering if there is anyone else out there who does too. I’ve tried creating a separate blog to play around in but always come back to this one. I really need to stop it. I think? Or find another hobby. One that is away from the computer. Gasp. I am sure when they talk about filling our writer well they weren’t meaning stay on the computer until all hours finding the best look for your blog?
Happy writing all!


7 comments:

  1. I think you can play more because you have your own domain name. I occasionally tinker with the header on my blog and that's it for now.
    Your MG sounds very intriguing. Good luck with the synopsis and the conference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks on the conference and my book. Hope I can make it read worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a solution, Deb. You can come clean my house, then you won't have the energy to play around with your blog design. :D

    Thanks for the awesome links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...you are toooo funny, lol! Hmmm, maybe if I did some of my own housework I'd be too tired to play around with blog? AaaHAH

      Delete
  4. Yay links. I hadn't heard of the Harry Potter for Writers one, thanks. And I honestly have no idea if it's good or bad to play around with your blog's look. But with this look, I did notice your Ursula K Le Guin quote for the first time. One of my fave authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, with my current blog and my former ones, I was always changing the appearance. There were so many nice colors and templates to play with. :)

    Good luck with the world building. I need to finesse that myself. I have a paranormal I started last summer, but I never bothered to finish it since I'm not used to world building (just real world building).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I real world build in my writing so world building from nothing is hard to imagine. The whole 'show don't tell' takes on a life of its own, I'm sure. The best to you with the synopsis and conference.

    I was just thinking when I clicked onto your blog, "Did it look like this last time I was here?" Which was Monday. :-) It's entertaining to see what you've done.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...