Sunday 26 February 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Breathe by Cliff McNish

Happy Marvelous Grade Monday all. It has been a interesting week of slowing it down and taking stalk of how to balance reading, writing and blogging. Now, one thing I know I will always be doing is MMGM. Er, except this week! Ran out of reading time for MG as I have been catching up with some YA reading.

On the other hand I could share a MG I have started to read and am finding deliciously ghostly, scary (really) and kind of makes me think I could pair it with Coraline by Neil Gaiman. That book would be:

Breathe by Cliff McNish. From IndieBound-Jack is not a normal boy. He can talk to ghosts. In his new home, an aging farmhouse, he meets the Ghost Mother, a grief-stricken spirit who becomes very attached to himtoo attached. He learns that the Ghost Mother is preying in the cruelest imaginable way on four child ghosts who are trapped in the house, stealing their energy to sustain her own. Before Jack can figure out how to help them, the Ghost Mother takes possession of his real mothers body. Jack wants to fight back, but he has severe asthma and risks fatal attacks with any physical exertion. It will take all his resources, and his mothers as well, to fight off the Ghost Mother and save the ghost children from a horrible fate.


So, for sure not for kids who like their ghosts funny and scary. The ghost in this one is bad, bad..bad.


Enjoy the rest of you Monday and posts from some of the following MMGM bloggers:


Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader and Founder of MMGM)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Shannon O'Donnell-
Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn
Gina Carey
T.L. Conway






9 comments:

  1. This sounds like something right out of the ghost whisperer. :D
    Will be adding it to my tbr list.
    I'm running out of MG reads too. Hopping to catch up in March with some read-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bad ghost--eek. This entire book sounds creepy (but in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved being scared when i was a kid, so it would have been perfect for me :) i was the ghost story champ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just did my MMGM post on Coraline, so this sounds like a perfect companion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my go-to reviewer for ghost stories. My wip has a nasty ghost in it, so I need to check Breathe out a.s.a.p.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added this to my wish list. I love ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds scary, but so interesting! Thanks for the review.

    Found your blog through a friend's and I'm now a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds TOO scary for me. But cool. I have a ghostish MG wip, but it's not very scary.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...