Monday 6 February 2012

MMGM-Quest for the Secret Keeper by Victoria Laurie


Welcome to another MMGM, compliments of writing and blogging rockstar Shannon Whitney Messenger! Today I am recommending a book that is coming out next week, THE SECRET KEEPER by Victoria Laurie. It was my privilege to be able to read the digital ARC compliments of Net Galley and Random House Books for Kids.


From Indie Bound:
Delphi Keep is awash in activity, and for Ian, Theo, and Carl, their safe haven might be nearing its end. The Royal Navy has taken the keep to use as a hospital and the tunnels running under the keep and the castle are ideal to set up a central communications outpost for the approaching war. The earl is happy to help the effort, but now the keep is no longer safe for the orphans and they must be evacuated to his winter residence.
Ian, Theo, and Carl know that if they're sent away, they'll no longer be protected. But more important than their safety is deciphering the third prophecy. All clues point to a quest. The orphans don't know where they must go, but they know they must rescue the Secret Keeper.
To do that, however, they need to work out who this Secret Keeper is. And what, exactly are the secrets he's keeping?



I will be recommending my library orders a copy of this entire series. We were just talking about good series for middle grade (and I'd go up to 14 on this, depending on the reader-think Pendragon) I will be buying my own, as well. From the opening scene where the groundwork for the mystery and myth is laid and the opening chapter where we are transported to 1940 and the Delphi Orphanage, the 12 year old me was in my glory.  I am a big fan of orphans with mysterious backgrounds taking on the forces of evil. So put those two together and I'm hooked.  The author's storytelling voice sparkled for me. I often found myself reading it out loud so I could hear the tale unfold (true this is!). This is a book I'd recommend for the school and public library of couse--and one that would do well read out loud in the classroom. Set on the world stage of World War Two only adds to the texture and, of course, the action. Fast paced, dramatic...heart stopping. Dark times abound in the real and fantasy world as Ian, Theo and Carl set out to save themselves, the orphanage-all of us! Best part is, beginning February 14, you can hand over all three books in the series to your readers!


And finally. I never read series books out of order, but I started this one before it dawned on me, oh yes, this is a series. I could not stop reading, I was pulled in I tell you. Happy MMGM all. And for your continued blog hoping pleasure:


Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental NovelistShannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn
Gina Carey

T.L. Conway
Andrea Mack

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds like I series I'd like. Hope my library has it. Thanks so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Natalie. Hope your library has it too! If they don't and they have the budget for it...I'd say for them to get it. This is one that will appeal to Riordin fans. Stone Heart fans mike like this too.

      Delete
  2. happy middle grade monday! sounds like a great series - will definitely check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy MMGM back, Gina. Yes on checking them out! Now--I wonder? Is your TBR list growing in leaps and bounds?

      Delete
  3. Your use of the words 'sparkles' when describing the story's voice has me hooked. Thank you for word about these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny that you like orphans because I hate them. I hate all the orphans in all the world. (Can you name that movie?) But I get over it, especially when there is adventure and mystery. I'm excited for this book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLING...er, something that begins with an A? Hmmm?

      I am totally getting this whole series. Want it sitting on my bookshelves, oh yes I do!

      Delete
  5. Well of course they have to be orphans -- in order to save the world on their own, without parents interfering, heh heh.

    I like that it's set in WWII and not modern-day. So is this the third book in the series, Deb? Would we be better off reading them in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Joanne! And yes, I would read them in order, actually. Hope you like them!

      Delete
  6. This series sounds great. They sounds like something my son would like. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Thanks Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great!!! It's on my TRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this book sounds like a good adventure! Definitely going to look for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...