Monday 31 October 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Ghost Hunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost by Cornelia Funke

Shannon Whitney Messenger's brain child Marvelous Middle Grade Monday is growing in leaps and bounds and that is such a wonderful thing! I love middle grade. Reading it and writing it. When I was younger I was fascinated with ghosts and scary stories. These days favorite book talks (October or not) for kids include ghost stories. For NANOWRIMO I am working on my middle grade novel HAPPY MEDIUM (I should say I am writing it this month, been researching, note taking, character developing for a bit now).

So, each of my Marvelous Middle Grade Monday's for the month of November will highlight some of my favorite middle grade novels featuring...ghosts!

Starting off with Cornelia Funke's Ghost Hunter series. Quirky, silly, funny, imaginative and...spooky. Even includes a glossary of ghost hunter terms for different kinds of ghosts that is wonderful fun. Often you will find this in the chapter book section of bookstores but these are books I would put into the hands of kids as old as twelve because of the fun of ghost hunting and the crazy good characters and humour. A great quick read for them.

I love it when the dark and scary is mixed with laugh out loud funny. That's why I love these.

Here is the description from Good Read:

The last thing that Tom Tomsky wanted was a ghost in his house. For this nine-year-old klutz, life was already a mess; finding a spook in the cellar seemed like the final straw. Fortunately, Tom has family connections to world-renowned ghost hunter Hetty Camomile. With Hetty's help, Tom turns the tide on this untimely spirit intrusion.


And honestly? If you know someone you think would enjoy these, get the rest while you are at it! Here they are, all descriptions are from Good Reads.


Can Tom and the team “dampen the spirit”–permanently!–of a fiery phantom, or are they about to get burned? 
Boy hero Tom, Hugo the Averagely Spooky Ghost, and famed ghoul hunter Hetty Hyssop have formed an agency dedicated to dealing with difficult apparitions. No spook can defeat them–until their too close encounter with a Gruesome Invincible Lightning Ghost. 
This superheated specter (or “GILIG,” in ghosthunter-speak) has taken over the penthouse suite of a beachfront hotel, where it’s passing its eternal vacation by turning guests into ghosts themselves! 

Horrifying things are happening at Gloomsburg Castle. To begin with, the creepy place is crawling with Tiny Biting Ghosts (or “TIBIGs,” in official ghosthunter code). And now it appears as if the murderous spirit of a brutal Baroness has taken hold of the land-lady, infecting her with a killer case of hichic–hiccups!Of course Hugo the Averagely Spooky Ghost is instantly smitten with Her Hideous Highness, only to find out that love stinks! And it smells something awful, too. Looks like the time has come for Tom to put an end to the “foul” play and concoct a plan that will dispel this decaying royal for good. 






With the fate of the world resting on the outcome of his battle against the mud-dripping minotaur, Tom's final exam is one that is certain to test his combined knowledge in the field and, if he survives, rightfully earn him his Ghosthunting Diploma.




The following are more MMGM bloggers:




Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Shannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now 
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Andrea Mack-That's Another Story

12 comments:

  1. My daughter would love these! Thanks for highlighting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Andrea--and yay for these being a new read for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Deb! These sound hilarious. I've shelved them in the bookstore but never read them. I do love Cornelia Funke though.

    Happy Halloween to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That combo of quirky, funny, silly, imaginative, and spooky sounds just right for MGers!

    Good luck with your nano!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that Children's books have come a long way....so cute, quirky and fun
    Great post.
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray for the Ghosthunters!! Hurray for Cornelia Funke!! GREAT choices, Deb! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good round up of reading for Halloween and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm always blabbing about loving funny AND scary--and I love Cornelia Funke--but I have not come across these. Perhaps I was on interplanetary hiatus when they came out?

    I love your NANO title!! Good luck with the writing. And I can't wait to follow your ghost posts through November.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone...glad I featured these, thought maybe most of you would already know them.

    Michael--you funny--interplanetary hiatus, lol! Thanks on the NANO title

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound great. Thanks for writing about them. I recognize the cover of the first book, but I didn't realize this was a series. I’m going to have to read them.

    If middle grade dark humor is your thing, you might enjoy SCARY SCHOOL by Derek the Ghost. It made me laugh a lot. Another great one is THE SPLURCH ACADEMY series by Julie Gardner Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We loved this series at our house! I wish she'd write another one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't say as I've read many ghost stories. At least not for kids (and not in many years). Will have to give these a try. I like the humour and quirk of them.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...