Friday 28 October 2011

MonsterFest 2011-Griffin (and another character possibility?)

I am so enjoying taking part in this MonsterFest hosted by Sommer Leigh at Tell Great Stories. And today I'm taking a quick look a The Griffin, a creature I have always been fascinated with. And have to say I am also reading Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone . Talk about taking a mythical creature (monster, maybe not so much depending on your point of view) and spinning it (and whole lot more) into a marvelous urban fantasy! Highly recommending this book to teens and adults who are fans of the genre. The characters, the setting---it all sucks you in.

AnyWHO! On to some quick Griffin facts and places you can go to hunt down more if you are so interested. As I read more about it and pulled myself away from the very little knew that made me think of them as a monster (half lion, half eagle--scary to the kid me) I realized there may be more to admire than fear.

-guard treasures
-mate for life
-not always a lion and eagle
-feed their young (with horses and, er, humans...okay, that's kind of scary)
-known to dig for gold (still working on researching why the interest in doing that)
-sometimes known to have the tale of a snake
-deadly enemy of the horse

I particularly like this from  Mythical Creatures Meanings & Fantasy Animals in World Traditions :

"The griffin is a symbol meaning one who refuses to be taken captive at all costs. The griffin is a mythical creature with a lion's body and the wings and head of an eagle. The griffin is a symbol of both dominion and destruction. In christian symbolism, Christ is compared to both the lion and the eagle. Thus, the griffin became a symbol of Christ, particularly used by Dante. In medieval scripture, however, the griffin symbolized the devil due to its purported ability to swoop down and carry off animals and humans. Eventually the griffin became a symbol of valor and magnanimity due to the inherent characteristics of the lion and the eagle. The griffin became an emblem of nobility and was depicted in the coat of arms of many noble families in Europe."


And even though I don't illustrate (I am more of a doodle and thinker...watching the following vid made me want to try and learn to draw the griffin as I think on him or her as a possible character in a future books.






Sources and more reading for you:

Griffin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Medieval Bestiary : Griffin


Greek and Roman World Mythology: Mythical Creature Griffin

Happy Hunting!

3 comments:

  1. They look beautiful and fearsome.

    I can't wait to read my copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy the book, Medeia. I have slowed way down in the reading cause I don't want it to end...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Griffins have always felt powerful and full of dignity to me. Perhaps feeding their young with humans takes a bit away from that...hahaha! Interesting, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...