Friday 21 October 2011

MonsterFest 2011-Banshee (and a new character for my book?)

The first time I became aware of the banshee was long, long ago in a movie called Darby O'Gill and the Little People. (made the same year I was born, eek!)

There is a scene on the side of the mountain with a screaming, scary, determined banshee after a soul. I was fascinated and terrified all at the same time. Over the many many years since that time my imagination drifts when the wind howls and I think about the ban-shee or....bean-sidhe. 


Now.  My child imagination was scared by the banshee. But the more I read I doubted the monster status I gave them. Basically they wail at the death or just before the death of a family member. And, it was only for certain families. Often said to be the soul of a murdered woman or a woman who died in childbirth, sometimes beautiful, sometimes a hag, even a washerwoman! Not dangerous, just scary, especially to hear with a wail that could break glass.

But.

What  if they get the foretelling wrong? Will they give up or will they haunt the family until they get the soul they want?

Further reading reading revealed that in the U.S., though, the banshee is a ghoul and then I came up the information that if you come upon a comb beware picking it up. It could have been placed there by a banshee trying to trap your soul (similar stories about mermaids doing this, by the way).

So.

Changed my mind back. Monster indeed!

Needless to say this monster hunt has my imagination fired. Will be researching more, because I really want to create a banshee character now. The possibilities with her are endless.







Some links to images:

Banshee, Norma Peters, SciFi Fantasy Art (this one is good and scary)

"Banshee" by Rebecca Röske | RedBubble (definitely the beautiful one)

Irish Banshee Images (this is where I got the images for this post-there are many, many more here)

Where I did my reading up on banshees:

Irish Fairies | Banshee

Banshee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other places to go to find out more and I will. MUST finish my current wip first, I must must. Although, because HAPPY MEDIUM is a paranormal a banshee character is entirely possible. I know. Focus, Deb, focus.

 Banshee - Mythical Creatures Guide

The Banshee of Ireland

And of course need to head to the library, get books!

Happy hunting! Thanks to Sommer Leigh @ Tell Great Stories for leading the charge.




2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, spooky and intriguing! I love Darby O'Gill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I'm a comic book geek, so I always think of the X-Men character Banshee, but he is from Ireland so kudos to them for keeping tradition alive. The idea of some haggy ghoul screaming for my soul is terrifying!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...