Monday 1 April 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

Greetings and Happy First Day of April! Hope those of you playing some April Fooling are having fun, fun. I have a vlog for you all--hope you survive it! I am highly self critical, was totally not going to do it cause I think I look like such a nut on camera and the review/talk isn't quite right (Sophie really not typical in a typical kind of way) BUT-it is something I have always wanted to try. So here it is, my first ever and let me give you a heads up-it is unedited, unrehearsed. In other words I am sharing a first draft. But it for a good cause. One of my favorite reads from last year was KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES by Shannon Messenger. A book that I kept thinking, I can't wait to get to some kids with this-fantasty lovers will love it, kids who think they may not like fantasy will give it a try and possibly have their minds changed (the MC deals with the pretty down to earth kid typical issue of trying to find your place and figure out who you are). Boils down to me thinking this one will have huge appeal to a wide range of readers. And it was all I could do to keep myself from chasing down random kids in the street and booktalking it. Kay. I have yacked enough-here's the vid/vlog/thing.



From the publisher:
Twelve-year-old Sophie has never quite fit into her life. She’s skipped multiple grades and doesn’t really connect with the older kids at school, but she’s not comfortable with her family, either. And Sophie has a secret—she’s a Telepath, someone who can read minds. But the day Sophie meets Fitz, a mysterious (and adorable) boy, she learns she’s not alone. He’s a Telepath too, and it turns out the reason she has never felt at home is that, well…she isn’t. Fitz opens Sophie’s eyes to a shocking truth, and almost instantly she is forced to leave behind her family for a new life in a place that is vastly different from what she has ever known.


 But Sophie still has secrets, and they’re buried deep in her memory for good reason: The answers are dangerous and in high-demand. What is her true identity, and why was she hidden among humans? The truth could mean life or death—and time is running out.


Reviews:

Kirkus

Alice Marvels (this blog is new to me, looking forward to checking it out some more)

The Book Trailer:


Happy Monday all and be sure to head back to the MMGM linkies!






9 comments:

  1. I just finished this book yesterday and really enjoyed it. I kept thinking it would be a perfect "If you liked Harry Potter" recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the "if you like Harry Potter..." Anna!

      Delete
  2. Oh Deb it was great to see you "real" and HEAR your voice!!! :)
    I love how you highlighted what makes KOL stand out from other fantasy books for kids.
    I hope you do more of this vlog. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the first-ever vlog, Deb! You're braver than I am.

    I echo Akoss's sentiments: it's always fun getting to know bloggers better by hearing their voices and seeing them on video.

    And I must be the only one who has yet to read Shannon's book (sorry, Shannon! I'll get to it. Really!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book, and I loved your vlog! It's great to be able to see and hear you! Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved for vlog too. And I agree, the world building was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very brave of you, Deb! I don't think I could do that. It is a wonderful book, so worth doing. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the book when it came out last year, but haven't been able to convince my kids to read it. Hopefully my daughter will eventually. It's still too advance for her.

    Great job with the Vlog, Deb. You are much braver than me. :D

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...