Sunday 28 April 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Plunked by Michael Northrop

Hello and welcome to another Marvelous Middle Grade Monday inspired by Shannon Messenger! 

Today I am sharing another of my favorite 2012 contemporary middle grade fiction books I read for Cybils. 


Plunked by Michael Northrop

From the publisher:

When a young slugger gets hit by a pitch, he needs more than practice to get back his game.Sixth grader Jack Mogens has it all figured out: He's got his batting routine down, and his outfielding earns him a starting spot alongside his best friend Andy on their Little League team, the Tall Pines Braves. He even manages to have a not-totally-embarrassing conversation with Katie, the team's killer shortstop. But in the first game of the season, a powerful stray pitch brings everything Jack's worked so hard for crashing down around his ears. How can he explain to his parents and friends why he won't be playing? Readers will root for Jack as he finds the courage to step back up to the plate.


From the author's website:

Named one of the best chapter books of 2012 by the New York Public Library and
included in the 101st edition of their 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing

From me:

There are a whole lot of mentions from reviews and literary journals on how good this book is. I am here to add my voice to theirs and say yes, yes on just how great this book is. I think what struck me most is watching/feeling the growing fear of playing baseball from the main character after he is hit by a ball. It is gradual and ever so subtle. Darn good writing to read. As someone who booktalks to kids, this is one I can't wait to share with sport lovers, lovers of baseball in particular. But you know, it will also be a great read for kids who have ever been really afraid of something, something they would love to do, but afraid none the less. The accessible writing, the voice and the down right veracity of this character will capture and keep middle grade readers. A home run! (apologies to the author, I could not help myself). In other words I'm a sayin' add this one to your to read list. You will not be disappointed.

Click HERE to head back to Shannon's and more MMGM. See you all soon in...May? Man, the time she flies.








13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read for kids who love baseball and sports. Love the title. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things baseball and will definitely be picking this one up. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing another special book to my attention.
    I love it when I stumble on books I haven't heard of before and they sound this good.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Northrup has some surprisingly good reads. Loved Trapped as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely going on my list - I love baseball books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, I think you will like this then for sure!

      Delete
  7. sounds like a story many kids would feel relief after reading. fear can be so paralyzing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Gina! and I really like how the author shows how that fear can build over time...it is very, for lack of a better word, sneaky.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I really enjoyed Trapped! I'm not a big sports fan but this one sounds like one I might like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Sounds like a excellent read. I will definitely add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A+ for you today, Deb--with your review on Shannon M.'s blog as well as your own. I haven't heard of this novel, and am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...