Sunday 16 June 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday with one of my #Bookaday Reads-RUMP by Liesl Shurtliff

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
The end of June is fast approaching. As some of you know I am taking part in Nerdy Book Club's #bookaday Summer Reading challenge. Wasn't going to start until end of June when school is out in these parts (Alberta, Canada), but..too fun to not start. Will also say this is more like a book every other day or so challenge. So, for this Marvelous Middle Grade Monday I will be sharing one of my reads so far. This is one that a few of you have already read and loved. I can see why the love is there.



From Goodreads: In a magical kingdom where your name is your destiny, 12-year-old Rump is the butt of everyone's joke. But when he finds an old spinning wheel, his luck seems to change. Rump discovers he has a gift for spinning straw into gold. His best friend, Red Riding Hood, warns him that magic is dangerous, and she’s right. With each thread he spins, he weaves himself deeper into a curse.

To break the spell, Rump must go on a perilous quest, fighting off pixies, trolls, poison apples, and a wickedly foolish queen. The odds are against him, but with courage and friendship—and a cheeky sense of humor—he just might triumph in the end.


I cannot begin to tell you how much I truly enjoyed this book. Loved it, actually and with each page turn was so impressed with the author's writing skill and how she drew me into Rump's story and had me laughing and crying for him. He is a true hero in my books and absolutely the kind of character you want to cheer on and on for. The journey he embarks on is one that he thinks he has no choice on and yet he learns that he really is in charge of his own destiny. Plus, this is a darn witty imagining of the Rumplestilkin tale that weaves in a variety of other fairy tales and the people and creatures therein. By doing so she gives even greater depth and fun to this story. I should add that not a single use of other fairytales whether just referenced or an integral part of the main story was gratuitous and at the same time I don't think you have to know every tale that is referenced to be able to enjoy the book. This is a character kids will relate too. A kid trying to find his way, make friends and feel like he belongs. When I was finished and preparing this post I went to the author's site to see if there would be more because I didn't want to end my stay and plus her writing is so good I want to read more of it. The answer can be found here. And that answer is yes. She is working on a companion novel that is set in the same world.  I am already looking forward to heading back.

As for sharing this with kids when I start to work full time in the library this fall? You can bet I will be.


Happy Marvelous Middle Grade Monday all! Here is the link so you can head back to Shannon Messenger's website and carry on with your reading list building and seeing what others think of books you've read.


15 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this. Me too. It was such a different take on Rump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me, and it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but I sure have it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard so many good things about this, Deb. Thanks for reinforcing it. I am so busy with my writing, that I've fallen off the MMGM apple cart for a bit. But I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you on the apple cart but I say go go GO with that writing! Really looking forward to reading one of your books some day.

      Delete
  5. Of all the Grimm tales the original Rumplestiltskin is perhaps the most disturbing, so it's interesting to see someone take on that tale. I haven't read this one yet, but I'll give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes on this! I think that is why I was quite impressed with how she blended those parts in and redid them in a way that you could say, I see where the story originated. Will be interested to see what you think.

      Delete
  6. Yay!!! I'm a couple of books away from reading RUMP. It's on my library pile. I can't wait and thanks for mentioning the companion novel.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another one to add to my list! Thanks for the recommendation, Rump sounds awesome!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this mentioned many times and everyone seems to love it. Sounds like so much fun. That's intriguing that she's writing a companion novel set in the same world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I saw another review the other day and the story sounds great. Unfortunately my kids are the wrong ages for it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished reading this one and I agree with you, it's so much fun! I got very absorbed in the story and couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is on my TBR list. I sure hope I can get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with this cover and I am so happy that you enjoyed it so much. I definitely have to read this one. Rump sounds like a great character. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...