Sunday 9 June 2013

48 Hour Book Challenge-FinishLine

Made it! I have participated in this before but this is by far the most I have read so pretty darned pleased with that. Thanks to Ms. Yingling and Abby the Librarian for running the challenge this year. Looking forward to next year already. In the meantime I am on the hunt for the next read-a-thon. Kinda love doing them.

Here's my final breakdown:

Pages read-1863

Hours read: 22 hours 24 Minutes

Blogging-2.5 hours

The books:

Besides the ones I read in this post I also read:


GRAVE MERCY by Robin Lefevers-was already half way through this one and was glad to have the time to finally finish it. Very good. The setting, the history, the fantasy elements, the political intrigue,  the assassin nuns kept me hooked and reading to the last page at which time I just closed the book and sighed. A solid good read. Best part is I have book two in the series!v Purchased this one.

HOLES by Louis B. Sachar. Yep. In spite of my many years in the library this was one I had not read. Read it now and must say I do see why it won the Newbery. I've also talked to many a kid who has read a loved it, either on their own or as part of a classroom. Borrowed from the library.

SAVING ARMPIT by Natalie Hyde-Underdog baseball team, underdog town, underdog post office all come together in a flurry of baseball, mail (and delicious danishes) and doing what it takes to come out on top. My gosh, what a delightful and funny read for fans of baseball and fans of laugh out loud funny and fans of seeing the underdog win. Netgalley ARC.

IN SEARCH OF GOLIATHUS HERCULES by Jennifer Angus-What a concept for a book. The author wrote and intriguing tale about a boy who talks to insects and runs away to join the circus-a flea circus of course. Woven in that is the mystery of what happened to his father and an evil woman who has a rather unhealthly interest in the boy and his insect abilities. Combine that an well developed historical setting and what I think is a great middle grade read. And twist. Oh the twist! Netgalley ARC.

9 comments:

  1. If I see another readathon, I'll let you know! Surly Teen Boy has to read Holes for language arts-- I can't believe he hadn't read it, either. Hot stuff ...ten years ago! Glad that you enjoyed the 48HBC even though it snuck up on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read Holes until more recently, too. What's even weirder is I saw the moving before reading the book (which I never do), but that didn't ruin the book for me. It was well done, as of course, was the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book two, DARK TRIUMPH, is just as fantastic.

    I absolutely love HOLES. It's a bit scary to think I was the target demographic when it came out and I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, thanks for the reminder to read Holes myself! Glad you enjoyed the challenge, and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! I bow to your reading power.
    More titles for my reading list! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, Deb. We made it! And the reading continues. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you read so many pages. I didn't even make it to 100 in my two days because I was so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Holes and I'm happy for you that you were able to enjoy it. Goliathus Hercules sounds quite interesting and a little zany!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your next challenge. I have to say that Holes is one of my favorites. And now I've just added three more to my reading list. Thanks a lot! :)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...