Sunday 9 June 2013

48 Hour Book Challenge Stats and Reading So Far




Getting my pics up a tad late, but here is where I have been reading from. Now, I tried and I tried to get this one to flip around the right way but could not for the life of me get it to work, hence the sideways views!






This is the pile of books I have been choosing from. It includes my Kindle because I have a few books on there, too. Would that I could read fast enough to get through those piles!







So far I have read:
FAR FAR AWAY by Tom McNeal


From GOODREADS: It says quite a lot about Jeremy Johnson Johnson that the strangest thing about him isn't even the fact his mother and father both had the same last name. Jeremy once admitted he's able to hear voices, and the townspeople of Never Better have treated him like an outsider since. After his mother left, his father became a recluse, and it's been up to Jeremy to support the family. But it hasn't been up to Jeremy alone. The truth is, Jeremy can hear voices. Or, specificially, one voice: the voice of the ghost of Jacob Grimm, one half of the infamous writing duo, The Brothers Grimm. Jacob watches over Jeremy, protecting him from an unknown dark evil whispered about in the space between this world and the next. But when the provocative local girl Ginger Boultinghouse takes an interest in Jeremy (and his unique abilities), a grim chain of events is put into motion. And as anyone familiar with the Grimm Brothers know, not all fairy tales have happy endings. . .

Thoughts: At first I thought this was off to a too slow start for a MG but then realized this is a YA. Not sure where I got that notion but once I realigned my thinking I found myself sinking further and further into this one. Just some darn good writing that wove in the paranormal in the form of one of the Brothers Grimm along with the mystery of missing children. And the echoes of fairy tales within the story was just darn brilliant. The first half was like the quiet beige the storm, settin up the last half which I could not read fast enough. Everything came into play for a crazy tension filled run to the end. Got this from the publisher via Net Galley.

 ZERO TOLERANCE by Claudia Mills

Seventh-grader Sierra Shepard has always been the perfect student, so when she sees that she accidentally brought her mother's lunch bag to school, including a paring knife, she immediately turns in the knife at the school office. Much to her surprise, her beloved principal places her in in-school suspension and sets a hearing for her expulsion, citing the school's ironclad no weapons policy. While there, Sierra spends time with Luke, a boy who's known as a troublemaker, and discovers that he's not the person she assumed he would be--and that the lines between good and bad aren't as clear as she once thought. 




Thoughts: Found this one quite captivating, especially watching what happens when a kid gets caught between two adults (father and principal) who won't back down, can't back down and their posturing only makes things work. That is quite a scenario to be trying to spread your wings and figure out who you are besides the school's champion of doing the right thing, following the rules. In spite of it all Sierra realizes things are not so black and white. The friendship between good girl and bad boy was really well done and the evolving potential for girlfriend boyfriend perfectly believable for the tween crowd.

And for a complete change of pace I have been listened to and read THE 4th OF JULY by James Patterson. Fast paced and I quite enjoyed it, but not as much as the first three. Fin shed this one this morning. Tried to power through last night, but when the clock struck midnight my eyes closed and I couldn't stay awake.

Next up is HOLES by Louis B. Sacher. I have read many many of this author's books-but not this one. Yeah. After I am done holes not sure which one will be next.

Stats:

Hours-13.0

 -reading-11.0
 -blogging and social Media-2.0

Pages-891


5 comments:

  1. See, I knew I'd love sticking around after #middlegrademay. What great books! First one's right up my alley with all the Grimm possibilities. *wink* And I like the concept behind the second one. Of course, a writer's mind is always churning and after 'paring knife' I thought that it was an assassin's toolkit. That would make for a very different story. ha!

    Looking forward to reading these! :)

    Cheers,

    Tonette

    P.S. I really want to learn Ms. Yingling's Ninja Skill speedreading technique. It would come in handy for the 30 Books in 90 Days challenge starting on June 23rd. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, on the challenge. should check it out. and yes on those crazy reading skills. maybe we can hone them before the next challenge!

      Delete
  2. Great reading spot. I'm a little partial to my patio. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always tell my students that all they have to do is read three (or more) hurs a day, every day, for 40 years, and they can read as fast as I can. I've always been a greedy reader- in grade school, I would read 2 Childhood of Famous Americans books every day!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...