Monday 20 June 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-Mick Harte Was Here by Barbara Park

A couple of weeks ago our library had a book sale. One of the books in the sale was MICK HARTE WAS HERE by Barbara Park. I grabbed it immediately. It was the old cover, not the one you see to the left. It was the one on the right. Memories of many a book talk during library presentations came flooding back. It's been many years since I've shared this book. I will start doing so again. It is one of the post powerfully sad books, I've ever shared with kids. Also one of the funniest. The balance that Park creates between the two is flawless and the story is told from the point of few of Mick Harte's sister Phoebe. Mick was killed in a bike accident and it's up to her to share about him, she's decided. She needs you to know how funny, annoying and amazing she was. And as she tells the story of her family before Mick's death you find yourself roaring with laughter (the kind of scenes you love to read aloud). The next moment you are crying. Phoebe is also showing and telling us the pain of her family dealing with Mick's death. Overall it is a celebration of the love of power and family. Very sad--but at the same time uplifting.
That's it for my Marvelous Middle Grade Monday recommendation. Happy reading and don't forget to check out MMGM Mom Shannon Whitney Messenger to see what's she's got going for today and also take a wander over to the following blogs:

If I have missed anyone in the above list, please let me know. Enjoy your day!

5 comments:

  1. Oooooo! I've been wanting to read this aloud with my kids ever since my son read an excerpt in a short story unit (I'm sure it was the first chapter). As strange as it sounds, I adore powerfully sad books interjected with humor - they impact so forcefully. Thank you for the great review and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy it when one of the MMGM crew brings up a book from the past. We shouldn't forget those wonderful stories. I always loved Barbara Park's books (other than Junie B), but never read this one. Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound really interesting. I'm always interested in the way an author balances humor with sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one, and I like the old cover better. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to add: my favorite Barbara Park book is Skinnybones, which I remember reading to my sons and I was the one laughing the hardest.

    I admire her range if she can write funny books like that and then serious books like Mick Harte. That's talent.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...