Saturday 4 June 2011

48 Hour Book Challenge-Checking In

Just a checking in. And it was a interesting first attempt, and one I realize now I'd over thought. I kept changing the time until a really could start. Had a few things that kept coming up that I did need to deal with right away. Realized that if I kept pushing the time back it would be midnight...okay maybe not that bad, but with me you never know!

SO---went back to the 9 AM-9 AM Sunday senario realizing there are going to be times when I am cobbling together (saw that in the Mother Reader comments, can't remember who said it?) the reading time.

Blogging/Social/Seeing what up in #48HBC land : 30 mins/5mins/30mins

Reading: 3mins/2mins/15mins/60mins/55mins/35mins/66mins/40mins

**Edited to add (yeesh, in a bit of too much a hurry!)

Total time-5 hrs 45 mins

What I Read
I have three ARCS I want to read, MG.
Eight Keys-not finished yet, but already it's filling all corners of my heart as I follow Elise as she grows into being 12, finding new friends, trying to fit into middle school, being bullied by "that girl", questioning her bff and whether or not it's good for her to hang with him anymore cause everyone thinks she's a baby because of him. And--taking that journey with her dad who is no longer with her, but each birthday she is given a letter--year 12 is the last letter and I think will be, for Elise, the most significant..it will unlock everything she needs to know about herself. In other words, I'm hooked into the book and the MC. Think kids will be too. This is not due for release until August 23--normally I wouldn't talk so early about a book but it's going back to the person I borrowed it from, today. Same with the next two.

The Girl Behind the Glass-Kind of wanted to start reading it all over again. Subtle ghost story, compelling mystery behind the who and the why and how the author told the story itself. More detailed review closer to release date. This is an ARC from the publisher that I borrowed from a friend

And one YA.

Extraordinary-A fuller review coming later, this book does not come out until Nov/2011. But I will say (as The Plot Whisperer does), beginnings hook the reader (and Adam Selzer did a great job of hooking me in)...endings make fans. I am a fan. He took vampires (including prudish victorian ones), fairy godmothers (okay, fairy godmofo), zombies, highschool, true love, an ordinary girl (who deals with anger by smashing crap from the dollar store), Shakespeare, The Music Man and some unicorn poop, mixed it all together into a great, clever read for teens. Kind of a wow for me.


Off into the day for awhile. Our library book sale is today and I am doing a puppet show @ 11:00 (Pig-Pig is in the house and someone told him the show is ALL about him! Move over Little Red Hen and Goldilocks. Snort!).

Cheers and happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun with the puppet show! :) And good luck with the reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are off to a good start. I'm surprised with how much cobbling together I'm doing. Even when I think I have things pretty well worked out, there are still distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are always other things to do, it's easy to over think, and something to pop up. I'm impressed that you're dong this on a work weekend! Have fun and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always cobbling together the time, but frankly I enjoy the reading more when I have those breaks. I've never tried to read the whole 48 hours - just to read until I'm a little bit sick of it.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...