Wednesday 29 August 2012

The Power of Play in Writing

When my storytelling partner and I used to do storytelling workshops and residencies we came to the realization that much of what was done was play. Now, from our point of view, it was play with a purpose. But. For the kids it was play. Lots of games that had them writing, socializing, writing, developing stories and their literacy skills. And I also realized it was also creating a safe atmosphere of risk taking. Recently I've starting taking a couple of courses for the daycare I am teaching at. One of them is on play in early education. It is bringing back many memories of the games we played in our storytelling workshops, but not only that. It is bringing back many memories of the writing games I used to play before I would settle in for the "work" of writing/revising/critiquing etc. Somewhere along the line I stopped. Not enough time. Hearing others say that it was something they never do and that they thought it was a waste of time (now there's a newbie mistake--assuming that advice and thoughts on certain processes are all encompassing). For them it probably was, because it just did not work. For me it worked. It loosened up my thoughts, created new ideas, helped me work out of tight spots in the writing, but more importantly it was just plain fun to do. I was playing.

Take listen and watch of this TED TALK (oh how I love those).




SO! I am returning to playing each day. Doodling, writing out first lines just for the fun of it. Taking characters out of the story I have them in and throwing them into another situation/book/story. For example what would your character do it he she ended up in THE HOBBIT? Help Bilbo? Want to go? Want to get out and get out fast?

Hah. Now I am truly curious. What would one of your characters do if they suddenly ended up in another book. What would the book be? And of course, we'll assume they know the book. One book that does this and does it well is...LITTLE WOMAN AND ME by Lauren Baratz-Logsted.

Off to ponder what Happy would do it she woke up to find herself in THE HOBBIT. Besides looking for ghosts, that is. Looking forward to hearing from you and where you'd put your character.

7 comments:

  1. I watched a video of John Cleese (Monty Python)giving a keynote speech on Creativity. It's a little long and slow in spots, but he had some wonderful, definite steps. You and he share some of the same philosophy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShmtsLhkQg

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting idea, Deb. I'm always looking for a new way to play. ^_^ I watched a movie awhile ago where a 21st century chick ended up in Pride and Prejudice. Can't remember the name of it, though.

    I think it would be fun to put my WWII character in beachy contemp S. California. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep yep on the new way to play! I've seen that movie too-can't remember the name of it. I sooo wonder what your mc would think of Cali now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a fun idea! Playing before writing. And I've heard of Little Women and Me but never read it. Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont is a YA about a contemporary girl who finds herself in the novel Jane Eyre.

    Never would have thought of doing this. So inspirational, Deb! Thanks so much. Maybe I'll play with taking my MG contemporary boy character and plunking him into Treasure Island...or Peter Pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on Breath of Eyre, Joanne! Going to check that one out. Cool on Treasure Island and Peter Pan!

      Right now my MC is wondering why the heck THE HOBBIT when Edgar Allen Poe is her favourite author, lol.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...