Thursday 16 August 2012

Adding Content to the Blog: Story Games, Passion for Story, Power of Story

Greetings all and big waves to fellow writers I saw here and there at WriteOnCon.

I swear each year gets better and better. Not bad considering it is already made of awesome. Came away inspired to just keep at it, keep writing, keep revising, keep learning. And that inspiration came from authors, editors, agents, attendees. It truly has the feel of an in person conference-just imagine your home filled with 2000 plus (or more) people at any one point.

One of the most insightful bits of advice I came away with was from  Pam van Hylckama who is a debut author, literary agent and also developed BookALicious.Org

That advice was to add one more post per week, not because one is not enough, but the one I am doing is a blog meme.

The post I do each Monday is a blog meme, Marvelous Middle Grade Monday. And y'all know I LOVE doing that---love sharing the love of MG. But. The thought from Pam was that I could also do one post a week that has content. That is. Something that comes from, gulp, me! 

Now...here's the thing. 

You could throw me in front of an audience of hundreds.  Kids, teachers, librarians and ask me to talk, share a story and I am so. there. It's odd to say that, because I am a very shy person. Awkward introvert. And yet--I can do that. Adore doing that. Look forward to the day it is my books I'm doing that with!

But.

For some reason sharing content to add to our blogging conversations that is worthwhile and worth reading makes me all kinds-a-nervous! Even if is just being myself. Hah. Maybe it is because I've never truly grown up. I don't have an inner 5, 10, 12 year old. I AM a mash up of 5, 10 and 12, so don't trust what may come tumbling out of my head.

So. 

Content. 

Thinking I'd like to start something that focuses on Story

-games I've played when doing residencies, the power story has to make a change, sharing moments where I have seen those changes and heard about them from teachers

-the passion we all have for story and sharing it with kids. Tips/suggestions for doing school visits and I am thinking _before_ your book is out, too. No need to wait-get out there and share your love of writing, reading and anything else related to literacy? 

Turn Wednesdays into a playground for sharing the power of story and why we do what we do and I do what I do-or something like that.

Lots to think about.

I'm heading off to the mountains for a backpacking trip, back on Sunday. I can think on this more when I am up there. 

Would love to hear your thoughts. In the meantime thanks for reading--gads that felt like a whole lotta yakkity yak from me. Your. Turn! Please :) ?

10 comments:

  1. Deb's Wednesday playground. Hmmm. . . Enjoy your trip into the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks...we almost packed up and ready to go. Deb's Playground--lol. Must say it feels like play, that is for sure.

      Delete
  2. I love being part of the MMGM too, but I also enjoy my Thursday posts (sometimes Wed) where I get to just be me. Looking forward to your new venture. Enjoy your hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think it's about time I came out of "hiding". So to speak. Thanks on the hike. Will take lotsa pics. Talk about a story inspiring playground.

      Delete
  3. I would love to read more posts from you. I'm looking forward to see what you come down from the mountain with, Moses, er, Deb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel privileged to be able to say that having spent some quality time with you (and one day I WILL forgive you for Angry Birds! LOL) I know you to be a lovely, thoughtful, insightful lady and I am thrilled with your decision to take the next step and let other people know you better as well. T'would be a little scary, for sure, but you are more than up to the challenge. Way to go, Deb. I look forward to reading, as always. Lub u

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afraid I'm doing the opposite to what Pam suggests, and have been scaling back the blogging this year. In its place, I've been doing more writing of my own stuff--as I tell people, I'm never at a loss for ideas, just the execution of them!

    Hope you found peace in the mountains!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love following your blog, Deb, and I agree with Lorea: you are a wonderful, thoughtful person so it would be awesome to see you adding a different sort of content to your blog. The power of story... now *that* would be an incredible thing to talk about.

    ~mara :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope your trip was wonderful! i am still mucking around with my own blog, and know finding the right balance is not super easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Deb!

    Want you to know that I nominated you for the Booker Award. Check out details here: http://thewritingblues.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/the-booker-award/

    I really want to see which books you pick :)

    mara

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...