Sunday 5 August 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday and the middle grade e-books of Anthony R. Williams

Before I get to the books I am talking about today, I need to let you all know who won SEEING CINDERELLA! Totally forgot to do that last Monday. The winner was:

Michelle Mason

Congrats to Michele!

The book is on the way.

And the winner of ISLAND DANGER is:

Jennifer Rumberger - Children's Author

Congrats, Jennifer! Will pass this along to Margo who will send you a copy in the format of your choice.

Finally, on to... 



Some time ago author Anthony R. Williams contacted me about reading his book CULT OF THE FLY. The flap copy of the book caught my interest and the fact that I read a mention similarity to R.L. Stine or Stephen King for the young and reluctant reader set, I was doubly interested.

CULT OF THE FLY did not disappoint. Loved it. Even the really gruesome bits that were so well described I was actually reading with my face scrunched up and eyes partially close. The action was fast paced and the author was not afraid to make things for the kid characters get worse and worse...and worse.

Now, this book was free on Amazon as were his two other books, EYES WITHIN IN THE CEMETERY and SARCOPHAGUS. I didn't get the next two because they were free, I got them because I liked CULT OF THE FLY and wanted to read more from this author. He succeeded again with writing faced paced, scary stories that could easily grab the reluctant reader or any reader who loves the scary--and not a little scary but the kind that goes SCREAM in the night.

All three of these books are well, well worth trying out. Mr. Williams has some serious writer chops and has great skill with suck-you-into-the- scene vocabulary rich descriptions that don't affect the pacing of the book in a way that could lose the reader, especially a reluctant one. Not only that, the characters are real kids thrown into fantastic-ly creepy situations that come with hold your breath climaxes. Of course, if you check out his site you'll see the writing history he has serves him well.


Following are brief descriptions of each book as provided by the author.

Cult of the Fly - The last place Jessica wanted to be stuck during Spring Break was in a hotel in the middle of the desert with her family. What she didn't anticipate was stumbling upon dark secrets undiscovered for decades. When all hell breaks loose Jessica must face her fears and the terrors concealed deep underground by the Cult of the Fly.

Sarcophagus - When Jeremy moved into his new house he left his friends, school, and old life behind. With nobody but his eccentric neighbor Adrian to play with, Jeremy unearths something buried within the woods that was meant to remain undiscovered. The fate of the world is in Jeremy and Adrian's hands when they must stop the dormant evil they unwittingly unleash from within the Sarcophagus.




Eyes Within the Cemetery - If moving wasn't already bad enough, Marcus' new house doesn't have a backyard, it has a graveyard. He didn't want to believe ghosts, ghouls, and zombies lived back there. Marcus didn't want to think the cemetery was haunted. But when he spots two glowing Eyes Within the Cemetery he won't have a choice but to confront an unspeakable evil living right outside his bedroom.



That's it from me! Hope you are all having a Marvelous Middle Grade Monday. Be sure to head back to Shannon Messenger {our fairy MMGM mother!} to see even more MMGM goings on.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winners! This sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome on the share, Natalie. Looking forward to seeing what Literary Rambles is up to today....a day late with my MMGM reading I am!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to the winners! Awesome books. :)

    I have never ehard of this series- but it does sound like fun. I can see how the story would appeal to reluctant readers. I also think the covers would attract a lot of kids. Great review! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jess. Yes on the covers!

      Delete
  3. These sound like books for me to emulate! I especially am in awe of writers who have "rich descriptions that don't affect the pacing of the book."

    Congrats also to Jennifer for winning Island Danger, which I reviewed on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on the description emulation, Michael. Heck, any kind of description that smooths into the story is something I have to reaaaaallly work at. Heading over to your bog today!

      Delete
  4. OOH, I'm so excited! Thanks for the giveaway! The books from Williams sound like some great ones for reluctant readers who enjoy that type of story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome on the giveaway, Jennifer. I will let Margo know and she will be in touch. Yes on the rr who loves the scary, creepy gruesome factor-with great kid heroes who overcome it and save the grown-ups!

      Delete
  5. I just got an e-reader and am really enjoying it, so I will check out Anthony's books. Thanks, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda...yay on getting an e-reader. I love my shelves of books, but I also love my e-reader. Thanks on checking out Anthony's books to see what you think.

      Delete
  6. So excited to win SEEING CINDERELLA! I loved R.L. Stine as a kid, so I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound like AWESOME Additions to my classroom! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jemi...welcome...I'd love to hear what your kids think. BTW--I just read THE TEMPLETON TWINS HAVE AN IDEA. Thinking it would be an awfully fun read-a-loud and man oh man, the conversations and fun you could have with the crazy questions the narrator asks at end of each chapter...

      Delete
  8. i really like spooky stories -- thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...