Monday 7 November 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-I Put a Spell on You by Adam Selzer

Hey everyone! Time for another Marvelous Middle Grade Monday as inspired by Shannon Whitney Messenger.

Today I'm talking about Adam Selzer's marvelously witty, funny, dripping with middle grade magic, I PUT A SPELL ON YOU: From the Files of Chrissie Woodward Spelling Bee Detective. 

Told from multiple point of views this book captures the quirk and fun of being a middle grade kid teaming up against some crazy adults who are all about the annual spelling bee, the getting into college at all costs (kids are a product don't you know? gotta groom them now), the protecting their kids from the rif raf of the real world (germs, corruption and crime...oh my!). And, of course...midst all of that, finding your own true self and making friends along the way. The kid characters in this book are rich, funny and lovable. The adults? Well, they're nuts!

Here's the description from Indie Bound: COME SPELLING BEE season, the tiny town of Preston erupts in excitement: the bee is televised, and the hottest ticket in town. This year, an assortment of sixth-grade miscreants is going for the top prize: Jennifer, an overscheduled free spirit whose parents are obsessed with her college applications; Mutual, a previously home-schooled outsider who's enrolled in public school for the first time in order to participate in the bee; Harlan, the class clown who has spectacular plans for making the most of his time in the spotlight; and Chrissie, the constant observer, who suspects something is off at the bee and will stop at nothing to get to the truth. Principal Floren is acting shady to everyone—but, as he insists, “I am not a crook.”


To find out more about Adam Selzer and his books, check out his site. 


I'll be back tomorrow to talk about his new release YA novel, EXTRAORDINARY, The True Story of my Fairy Godparent, Who Almost Killed Me, and Certainly Never Made Me A Princess.  and(Jennifer from I PUT A SPELL ON YOU is back and all grown up-well, sixteen). This was the book that I first read from him. Loved. It. So witty, funny and well written. AND--Adam will be doing a guest post this Wednesday on how to be a Smart Aleck Writer (he's kinda got that down.) 


Enjoy the rest of you MMGM all and do be sure to check out some of the following blogs in your travels, including my post over on From the Mixed Up Files of Middle Grade Authors...it's all about DRAGONS! 






Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Shannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now 
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me

Jennifer Rumberger - Children's Author

13 comments:

  1. Oh, how funny that the adults in the book are all nuts! Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your excitement for May B. I'd be happy to send bookmarks, if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline...that would be wonderful. And my book club kids would LOVE it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne...yes on the adults. They are so, so well drawn and...well, I just loved them. The perfect foil (if that is even the right word) for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo, I haven't seen this one before! Off to Amazon!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so interesting! I think kids love it (and laugh lots) when the adults are goofy (maybe because it's a little too true??) :-) Thanks for word on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the concept of growing a middle grade character into a young adult character. Rowling did it. Nice to see someone else has too. Thanks for a great review! I'd heard of the author but hadn't seen this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun concept for a book! Great review! And Happy MMGM to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love MMGM because I truly discover new books I would never discover on my own. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fun read (and another new one to me). Thanks, Deb! Hope NaNo is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read one of Selzer's other books and I'd like to read this one, too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Visiting from Book Talk Tuesday. I always loved spelling bees-- what a cute idea for a book. I know kids who would really like this.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...