Tuesday 12 April 2011

Three (Writing) Reads and Another!

It feels like forever since I’ve done one of these posts. Been a busy couple of weeks with reading books, library, writing in between all of that. So, this morning I really looked forward to making reading some blog posts on the craft of writing!

I particularly liked the very first post I started with. It’s from Erin Bow (the author of Plain Kate, which btw gets fabulous reviews, you should check it out if looking for a good book. I have it on my Kindle and it’s next up). I liked what she had to say about making the time to write, finding the time...just do it. The last while for me has been busy, so my writing time had to be cut back--I was getting tense, lol, thinking I need more time. Reading Erin’s post made me realize I am making the time, carving it out-just that I got quite used to have big blocks of time and was panicking, thinking, oh my gosh I’ll never get this book done. But yes, I will, I am writing in and around, I keep moving forward. And am I still talking? Yep. Here’s the post <g> :

Crowe's Nest: Erin: As Nike says, "Just do it"


Later today I’ll be working on Cricket’s story in LIFE AS A TO-DO LIST. And she has a big decision she makes (not a good one either, it’s sort of inspired by her reading MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN, just as her NYC mishap was inspired by FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER-kind of makes you understand why her mom sorta kind wants Cricket to keep her nose out of books. Just sorta kinda, though...Cricket’s mom isn’t all that nice). Alrighty then, back to the decision thing. Anna over at Story Bug has an exercise up. Check it out.

StoryBug: Decisions


I so, so agree with what Donna says in this next post. Each story and writer has individual needs. She’s talking about using an outline in particular, but I think that applies in a broader sense. When I was struggling with parts of Cricket’s story (essentially a panstered story, outlined it after the fact) I found writing in five minute bursts (no more that five minutes each time) kept me going, not sure why, it just worked...I would think of a scene, set the timer and write like mad. Take a break, do some other stuffs. It worked. A few years ago I would have thought “that’s not the way you write a novel”.

The Outline: A Weapon in the War on Writer's Block



Okay...this one made me LOL! Just the title alone.....and even more so? Note way I had to finish LIFE AS A TO-DO LIST’s first draft. Yes, my name is Deb and I am a Focused-Impaired Writer. Huh.

YA Highway: First Draft Guide for the Focus-Impaired Writer


4 comments:

  1. Great. I checked out the posts. Loved the first draft one best!
    Pen and Ink has published a short story on Amazon. Lupe posted about it today. http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/
    There has been so much written about self publishing that we wanted to track a venture and inform our readers of the results. The Wooden Men, a folktale based on a Mayan Legend, costs 99 cents. http://www.amazon.com/The-Wooden-Men-ebook/dp/B004T50IRW.
    We also discovered the free kindle downloads for Macs, PCs, Blackberry, Android, iPhone and iPad and the Windows 7 phone
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000493771
    There has been so much said about Kindle. This download is your chance to view content without having to buy a Kindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Gisele and I am a focus-impaired writer! *wink* Loved that blog post and am going to try the 150 word thing. :)

    Thanks for sharing the link, D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by to the gang at Pen and Ink---and best wishes to Lupe with his book!!

    LOL, Gisele. We should schedule a 150 word write-in....hmmm might be fun to do it with a group. WRITE-IN 150!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These titles sound interesting and I really need something for writers block. I just got your book on coming home from my trip, which went a little haywire towards the end but it was great otherwise. Thanks again for sending me this awesome (and brand new!) book for winning, it made my day and week!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...