Monday 11 April 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday with Marvelous Jan Markley!

I'm celebrating two things today. My own Oh (MG & YA) Canada and Shannon Whitney Messenger's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday.


So, a big welcome to Jan Markley, who fits into both of the above! I first got to know Jan, through her blog and then the first book in her Megabyte series, DEAD FROG ON THE PORCH. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the adventures of twins, Syd and Jane. A mystery that will keep kids guessing and situations and characters that will keep them laughing. (and, that's been kid tested and passed by one of my book club members, she's a fan) But, there is much more that makes Jan who she is!  From her website: 


"Throughout high school I was involved indrama and theatre and met some friends, at a summer drama camp, that I still have today. I continued to pursue drama and English in my first university degree then gravitated toward journalism. I spent about a decade working in broadcast and print journalism. In my late twenties I traveled for two years through Europe, Africa, and Asia, and freelanced for radio broadcast outlets including the CBC, BBC, and an Aboriginal radio station. I completed a Master of Arts, Cultural Anthropology in 2002 and did my research among the members of the Peigan Nation in southern Alberta. In addition to writing fiction for children, I write creative non-fiction and have had personal essays published in the Globe and Mail andWestWord.


Must say, I'm glad writing for children is part of what she does.  She's funny, talented and committed to bringing the best of herself to the books she writes for kids and in the presentations she does, including ones for YABS. (see more below in one of Jan's answers to my questions)


And now? On with the interview! 


The books we’re giving away are DEAD FROG ON THE PORCH and DEAD BIRD THROUGH THE CAT DOOR. Please tell us about how you came up with those titles. I love them, great for holding up and book talking, what a hook!


Originally, the title of the first book was two girls and a lot of frogs and someone from my writers’ group said I needed a snazzier title. And I said: “You mean something like Dead Frog on the Porch?” And a title was born! I chose the titles of the rest of the Megabyte Mystery series in the same vein. 


Do you have any advice for a first time author going in to do a school or library visit or do you have a great 2010 debut moment you would like to share with us? (or--both?)


A great debut moment at a school visit? Hmmm, two come to mind. It was the very first school visit in my newly launched career as a children’s novelist. It was a grade 3/4 class. I talked about where I got the idea for the book, I read the first chapter, and then opened it up for questions about the life of a writer. The first question from the first child was: “How old are you?” I don’t believe in lying about my age so I ‘fessed up. During that same school visit, I gave the students a writing exercise. One girl told me that it wouldn’t be her best work because she had played hockey last night and got hip checked a lot. 


Then there was the time the RCMP told me to leave town ...


 http://janmarkley.blogspot.com/2009/12/day-rcmp-told-me-to-leave-town-and-what.html  


Advice to first time authors doing school visits: do your homework, be prepared and have fun! 


Oh boy, too funny on the RCMP and you. And the hip checked....lol!


In my book club I have some keen readers, but also some keen writers. They range in age from 8 to 13. When did you start writing and do you have any advice for my book clubbers?


I’ve always been writing. I remember trying to write a novel with a friend when I was a teenager (I’m sure there were some pesky sibling characters). My advice would be - keep writing and trying to grow as a writer by going to workshops for youth through the Young Alberta Books Society or the Writers Guild or your school system. Take every opportunity you can to learn more about writing. And read everything and discuss what you like and don’t like about certain books. 


Speaking of my book club kids. Anything you’d like to recommend they read or we get for our library? Something that is a recent read, or a book you loved when you were a kid? Read-a-likes for your books. One of my book clubbers is a huge fan (she’s in re-reading mode!)


Shout out to my huge fan in your book club Deb! That’s great. I loved Nancy Drew books as a kid, of course since twin detectives Cyd and Jane get inspiration from Nancy in the two novels in the Megabyte Mystery series. Edmonton writer Marty Chan has a funny mystery series for middle grade readers, and Calgary writer Maureen Bush has a fantasy series called the Veil of Magic for middle grade readers, as well as other books.  


First, I did not know Maureen lived in Calgary. Nice! Thanks for the book recommends. The reading list is growing in leaps and bounds, just the way my kids and I like it. 


You do have a third book for this series your current publisher is no publishing. What will your next step be?



Work on the third book in the Megabyte Mystery series is on hold while I try to place the series with another publisher. 


Wishing you the best with your search, Jan. I have no doubt you will find a new home for your books....and we want to read more of Cyd and Jane's adventures!


This leads us to the final questions. What is your favourite part of living where you do? Do you have another part of Canada that you love to visit or that you’ve always wanted to but haven’t yet?


My favourite part of living in Calgary is the Rocky Mountains, of course, (I’ve not been too fond of the weather this winter ... but who is?). I love visiting Toronto where I lived for a few years. I’ve never been to Nunavut and would love to visit one day. 


I appreciate you taking the time to do this and thanks to those of you who stopped by for a read. Please check out Jan's website &  her blog, Three Dead Moths in My Mailbox (you will love it, information for writers, general life and fun!) If you would like to win Jan's books just leave a comment with a way for me to contact you. This is open Internationally until midnight MST, Sunday April 17, 2011.


And if you have time check out last week's interview and giveaway. It was with Marsha Skrypuch and the book? Stolen Child.  (there is still time to enter, as I decided to extend it until midnight tonight).


Also, there are more great Marvelous Middle Grade Monday reads you can check out there is Shannon's   and then over at  Book Dreaming with the other Shannon (a blog I'd highly recommend following, 'cause Shannon ROCKS, or really...the Shannons Rock!)


And for more middle grade love and great blogs to check out? 


Joanne Fritz's is  HERE

Aly Beecher's  is HERE.

5 comments:

  1. Great interview with a great and giving writer. So glad we have you in our city, despite the awful winter! I love the mountains too!

    Love your books and hope you find a new publisher soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet! Right back at ya! And thanks Deb for taking the time to do the interview- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! These books sound like so much fun!! And thanks for the MMGM linkage, Deb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learned a bunch of stuff I hadn't known about you before,Jan. You're full of surprises. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the winter, Janet..it's still out there, clinging to the grass that wants to turn green.

    My pleasure to have you, Jan!

    Thanks for stopping by, Shannon and yep, the books are fun-dialogue, characters (bigger than life)!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...