Monday 4 January 2016

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday, #Read16in16, #Sixtybooks

2016 here we are! I am getting back into the blogging swing of things.

To start the year off I am taking part in #Read16in16 & #Sixtybooks.

You can find out more about #Read16in16 at 1000 Conversations. And more about #Sixtybooks at
Sixty Books!

With 2016 upon me I am also looking forward to catching up with the Marvelous Middle Grade Monday crew. Seems only right, then, that my first read for the above challenges is a fantasitic fantasy called Odditorium by Gregory Funara.


From GoodreadsGrubb, age twelve (or thereabouts), has never known anything beyond his miserable existence as a chimney sweep, paid only in insults and abuse by his cruel master. All of that changes the day he stows away in the coach belonging to a mysterious guest at the inn that he is tasked with cleaning. Grubb emerges from Alistair Grim's trunk and into the wondrous world of the Odditorium. Fueled by a glowing blue energy that Grubb can only begin to understand, the Odditorium is home to countless enchanted objects and an eccentric crew that embraces Grubb as one of their own. There's no time for Grubb to settle into his new role as apprentice to the strange, secretive Mr. Grim. When the Odditorium comes under attack, Grubb is whisked off on a perilous adventure. Only he can prevent the Odditorium's magic from falling into evil hands—and his new family from suffering a terrible fate. Grubb knows he's no hero. He's just a chimney sweep. But armed with only his courage and wits, Grubb will confront the life-or-death battle he alone is destined to fight.

A delightful read that wonderful captures the England of Dickens. The voice of Grubb is the perfect vehicle to tell this story. I swear I heard that boy talking in my head. Looking forward to booktalking this one. And especially delighted that I can see so many tie-ins for the study unit that grade seven does on The Christmas Carol and Victorian England. A bonus on a book I would book talk irregardless!

I am halfway through book two in this series which comes out tomorrow. More on that next week.

Happy Reading in 2016 all! And...Happy Marvelous Middle Grade Monday! Looking for mor MMGM reads? Head on back to Shannon Messenger's Blog...

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I'll have to look for it! Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Really was an interesting read and the more I read the more I was drawn into the world.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to blogging! :) I read this book a few months ago and I also enjoyed Grubb's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes on his voice...really rings true to the time I think.

      Delete
  3. I have been hearing a lot about this book. I need to get to it soon. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do get to it, Rosi. Oh those reading piles of ours!

      Delete
  4. This is the first review I've seen of ODDITORIUM. Love the title! And the premise. That time period is one of my favorites.

    Best of luck with your reading challenges. I managed to read 96 books in 2015 (not quite my goal of 100, but not bad).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...not bad at all on the reading for 2015!!

      Delete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...