Monday 18 January 2016

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-The Goblin's Puzzle by Andrew S. Chilton

Hello and Happy MMGM all. Today is all about The Goblin's Puzzle :Being the Adventure of a Boy With No Name and Two Girls Named Alice by Andrew S. Chilton. I read the ARC from Net Galley and am looking forward to putting the actual book in students hands. Thinking they are going to like (and appreciate!)the cast of characters, the wit, the humour, the magic, the adventure and how the author weaves it all together.

From Goodreads:


Brimming with dragons, goblins, and logic puzzles, this middle-grade fantasy adventure is perfect for readers who enjoyed The Princess Bride or Rump.

THE BOY is a nameless slave on a mission to uncover his true destiny.
THE GOBLIN holds all the answers, but he’s too tricky to be trusted.
PLAIN ALICE is a bookish peasant girl carried off by a confused dragon.
And PRINCESS ALICE is the lucky girl who wasn’t kidnapped.

All four are tangled up in a sinister plot to take over the kingdom, and together they must face kind monsters, a cruel magician, and dozens of deathly boring palace bureaucrats. They’re a ragtag bunch, but with strength, courage, and plenty of deductive reasoning, they just might outwit the villains and crack the goblin’s puzzle.


As I read I am sure I was constantly smiling and laughing out loud. The wit and humour (as I know I've already mentioned) in this was fabulous. Had many a moment of thinking that not only is this a great middle grade fantasy for recommending to my grade seven and eight students (I'm in a 7-12 school) but it is one I would love to read out loud. So many favorite moments. One of the most favorite is the conversation between Ludwig (dragon) and Plain Alice (mistaken Princess) and how they each see the world. And Ludwig in general...just love that dragon. Add this to your TBR if you've not already done so.

This book and all books I read this year will be part of my #Read16in16 adventure which I am doing with staff and students at my school (#cobrasread!) and also part of #sixtybooks. Going to be a fun reading year. Well, it's always a fun reading year...

Looking for more Marvelous Middle Grade to add to your TBR pile? Check out these MMGM links provided by Shannon Messenger!

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting mix of characters, seems like a fun read. Thanks Deb, going to see if I've added this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about this book. I will have to check it out soon. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you had reviewed this last week, Deb! I loved the wit and humor in this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you had reviewed this last week, Deb! I loved the wit and humor in this one too.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...