Saturday 12 March 2011

Three (Writing) Reads and a Tip

VOYA is a library magazine I read on a regular basis, great for collection development, ideas for programming and just plain old connecting with others in the business of bringing books and libraries to kids. The Feb issue has an article called Unlock the Mystery of Writing for Young People, A Conversation with Blue Balliet. Ms. Balliet is the author of Chasing Vermeer (great middle grade mystery). Click on the following link, look to the left and you will see the digital edition. Click on that and happy writing read!

VOYA

Okay, have not made my way through the next post, but I will. I am telling you, the internet is a learning treasure trove!

First Five Pages Workshop - March, Revision Round is Open


Writing related in that the writing community ROCKS!

Maureen Johnson Books » Blog Archive » SHELTERBOX IN JAPAN



Tip

I use Scrivener, but think this would work with any set up have.

One of the things I do when gearing up for that first draft is think of things I know will be in it description or character or theme wise (this really gets my imagination going).

I go to The Bookshelf Muse and gather up the appropriate posts (symbolism, setting for example) and put them in individual folders.

If I get stuck while writing (and currently while revising) I look at the lists, see what they spark, if needed I will write a really bad description using all the words Angela and Bethany have gathered-it keeps me moving along either getting that scene finished or getting to the end of the chapter or through the middle, whatever the case may be.

When revision time comes, I smooth things out-make room for the readers imagination to work in there, too.

Doing this helps me think, add layers to the story when I’m initially “dreaming it up”.

And that’s what this latest post of theirs is going to do for me!

The Bookshelf Muse: Symbolism Thesaurus Entry: Transformation & Change


Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...