Friday 7 September 2012

More on The Power of Play in Writing.

Two articles crossed my blog reading path today.

How to Become a Better Writer

Feeding Your Muse

Both were good reminders, for me, to play. In spite of last weeks post I didn't follow through with my plan to Play Everyday. Didn't write that in the post, that was just the plan in my head. Like I said in that post, I used to play at the writing. It was my warm up. Whether it was to grab a sketch book or note book and doodle random things, or write out ten opening sentences for an imagined story, write out a bunch of fun titles, I did it everyday. Now that I've come back to it and realized that, for me, it works, it's fun, it's relaxing...I have to get back into the habit of playing. Well, I don't have to do anything. I want to.

What about all of you, is there anything you do to play at writing? Make it a game for the game's sake? Or maybe you'd like to share some spur of the moment opening sentences to an imaginary novel.

Here's a few from me, off top of head, may or may not make sense, but fun to do!


  • I was tired of my sister bugging me all the time and was determined to tell my parents it was time for Cass to know she was dead.
  • Running away seemed like great plan until I ran into a bear with major attitude issues and I was in the city.
  • Morgan was a vampire witch werewolf angel demon with a personality disorder.



4 comments:

  1. No, I never play with writing. I don't have time. I do go back and read 3-5 pages I last worked on to get back into it and because I love revising more than the first draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all should play more with our writing. I'm going to follow your example this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great idea. I write silly poems for fun.

    There was once a gal named Deb
    She made up words in her head
    When things got low
    Or the words came slow
    She'd doodle cartoons instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, I think it's so important to have time to play around with ideas just for fun. I used to do more of it too and I'm going to follow your example and get back at it! Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...