Monday 18 July 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-The Resisters by Eric Nylund

From GoodReads:


In the tradition of Robert Heinlein and Ray Bradbury, million-copy bestselling Halo author and game developer Eric Nylund brings action-packed science fiction to a young audience with this riveting children's debut. Twelve-year-old Ethan Blackwood has always known exactly what he wanted — to win the state soccer championship, get into the best high school, and become an astronaut. Then he meets Madison and Felix, who tell him something . . . insane. They claim that 50 years ago, aliens took over the earth, and everyone past puberty is under their mind control. Ethan doesn't believe it. But then he sees for himself the aliens' monster bug robots and the incredible way that Madison and Felix have learned to fight them. So Ethan Blackwood has a choice: he can go back to his normal, suburban, protected lie of a life — or he can become a Resister. This is science fiction on the lines of Scott Westerfield and Cory Doctorow for middle graders.

This was, for me, a surprising delight. My first reaction was to the cover. I wasn't sure about it. (note: after I read the book, loved it, shared it with my book club kids, they made it clear they loved the cover). Now, I can't even remember why I wasn't a fan of the cover. When I started to read I was "in" from page one thinking "oh, this is going to be good." As I carried on I added to the thinks-"Can't wait to book talk this!"  Action, believable characters (as a writer of adult sci fi, Eric Nylund _totally_ captures the spirit and voice of middle grade. Check out his post for the release date of the book and the reading history he has with his son...it is no surprise to me that he wrote this book so well. Some serious writing skills (check out his adult fiction) and a love of middle grade. Oh. Kids in book club who took and read the book? Gave it a five out of five donuts (yep, our rating system based on favourite snack) all around.

That's it from me. Happy Marvelous Middle Grade Monday and as always big, BIG thanks to the mama of this meme-Shannon Whitney Messenger @ Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe.  BTW she has BIG WriteOnCon announcement. And when she says it is big...it. is. HUGE!

Some more Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-ers to check out:

Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now 
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This is one for my son to check out. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,

    We are adding to our list of bloggers at Simon and Schuster Canada. If you are interested in being added to our database please email me your mailing address and the type of books you most like to review. I can be contacted at
    christina.potter@simonandschuster.ca

    Thanks,

    Christina Potter

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at the first sentence. I adore Robert Heinlein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book--I'll watch out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I have to admit to also being put off by the cover - it promises more violence than I want to expose my 8-year-old to - but I'll check out the book and if it looks good, maybe he and I will read it together.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...