Monday 21 November 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday (and a read-a-thon)

Planning for a 2012 Marvelous Middle Grade Read-a-Thon is ON. and if you have any thoughts, suggestions, "Deb, what ever you do, don't do this's", do comment there of here. Was thinking doing the last week in December, but that could be too busy for some (although a great way to step into the New Year.

NOW on to the task at hand, Marvelous Middle Grade Monday which is the brain child of marvelous Shannon Whitney Messenger who has her very own MM coming out.

My NANO novel is a ghost story. So, they on the brain right now. Needless to say I have had many jumpy moments in this old church my husband and I are renovating (whilst we live in in) and old white house next door? No one lives there! Or. Maybe some one does? The book I'm recommending today provides some jumps no matter where you be. It is a seriously creepy ghost story with a great brother and sister team that kids will relate too and a crazy good plot that will keep them page turning to the end.  The books are also language, dialogue and description rich. AND-there is a family curse! Carol Matas and Perry Nodelman make a mighty fine team. The best part is, there are more books in the series!

FROM INDIE BOUND-Molly and Adam aren't thrilled about their dad's upcoming birthday. Whether it's a family curse or just bad luck, the Barnett males have a distressing tendency to drop dead the day before they turn 35. Their mom has a plan, though: a trip to the family's lakeside cottage. It's a great idea...until weird things start happening. A problem at work means Mom can't go. Grandfather's creepy old desk and papers appear in Molly's bedroom. A freak fall leaves Dad with a badly sprained ankle. Everyone blames Molly for the accident, saying she screamed for help while swimming in the lake, but Molly knows it never happened. Things go from bad to worse when a strange nurse named Reggie Crankshaft shows up out of the blue to offer his help. As Molly and Adam struggle to make sense of the odd events and figure out what really happened at the lake, their efforts to protect their father grow ever more desperate. 


Happy Middle Grade Monday, all! And here is some more marvelous to keep you growing your to read piles:



Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Shannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Danika Dinsmore-Accidental Novelist
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso

Jennifer Rumberger-Jennifer Rumberger, Children's Author
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn


p.s. if you are participating in MMGM's and I don't have you listed above, please do let me know so I can add you. Thanks!


    10 comments:

    1. I love this! Just the title made me laugh. It also sounds like it's full of mayhem. This book is going straight to my tbr pile. Thanks for the recommendation Deb.

      Now about your read-a-ton. Are you going to do it the last week of december for real? I will be checking back for updates.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This is full of intrigue! Thanks for putting it on my radar.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Will keep you posted, Akoss. If not the last week of Dec., it will be Feb or March 2012. Today, I will be checking the dates of other read-a-thons to make sure I will not overlap with some of the bigger ones.

      Yes, Barbara! Very full of intrigue!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Have to admit I've never heard of this book, since apparently we don't carry it at the bookstore! But I really appreciate you giving a nod to Indiebound.

      Weird things start happening, eh? It must be a fun read.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I've never heard of it either--but talk about high stakes, trying to keep your dad from succumbing to an apparent curse! Thanks for featuring it today.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Excited to hear more about your Read-a-thon!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Oh, I loved the title of this! I'm definitely going to look for it. And I'll be watching for more news about your MMG Read-a-thon.It sounds fun!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love creepy stories. Any hot guys in it??? :D

      ReplyDelete
    9. This sound spooky, and I love a good scary story. Thanks for sharing it.

      ReplyDelete

    #ReadtheNorth

    Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...