Friday 7 October 2011

MonsterFest-Meet the Sluagh...

...then run for your life (or I should say soul). Seriously. And next time I pick something to learn about, something deep, dark and evil? I will not be writing about it in the wee hours of night while it is raining and the wind is howling in the trees. What. was. I. thinking. Oh, right...I was thinking:



Here are some quick info bits on the Sluagh:

  • part of Celtic Mythology
  • travel in flocks, on the wind, behind thunderstorms
  • fly in from the west
  • not welcome in heaven or hell
  • happiest when snagging up the newly dead or the dying
  • possible that not Sluagh are evil, some are innocent and trapped souls forced along for the ride (yikes!)
  • associated with the wild hunt and therefore been known to grab up the living and carry them far far away to a not so wonderful end
In other words, they hunt down souls and, well, eat them. Usually it is the souls of sinners, but as noted above there are rumours of the innocent being taken prisoner to fly with them.

It's still howling and blowing outside. I really don't want to go and see if the wind is coming from the west, do I? The writer's imagination in me, though, is tempted. On the other hand there are tales of the Sluagh swooping down on the living and howling off into the ink black night with them. Yeah. Think I will stay inside.

If this has wetted your appetite to learn a bit more go here:


And here:

The Wild Hunt - folklore and legend - tales by Cassandra Eason

I know I'm interested in learning more, especially incorporating some aspect of them into a story. That story will be written in the light of day, though. Does that mean I have to give up my membership in the Monstrologist club?

Happy hunting all! And special thanks to our fearless (and brave) leader, Sommer of Tell Great Stories.


*******

Still time to enter my giveaway for ASHES, ASHES right here.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, writing bout creepy stuff in the dark with a storm brewing outside seems pretty scary to me, too. *shivers*

    I've never heard of a Sluagh. So this was quite interesting to me and unexpected as well. As soon as you think you've got the majority of the monsters figured out, out comes a new one. Pretty cool.

    I checked out the links, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, creatures that eat souls? Very cool and totally creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, fellow monsterologist here! Just wanted to say I LOVE the Sluagh. I am obsessed with Celtic mythology - I even took a class when I studied abroad in Ireland. They are definitely cool monsters! Great post!!
    - http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela-I know on the monters! There are many lurking about of which we know nothing, lol...some, we invent!

    Anna-so true on the cool and creepy and the more I read about them the more fascinating it becomes.

    S.L. -Howdy back! So, so cool on being able to take a course on Celtic Mythology--and in Ireland...!

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...