Monday 8 February 2016

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday-The World Beneath by Janice Warman

Had a great weekend of catching up with reading arcs from NetGalley.

One of those reads included The World Beneath by Janice Warman. I was pulled in from the beginning and as the story progressed I found myself turning the pages faster and faster. There were times when I was holding my breath as I wondered what the end of a scene would bring my way. Joshua is a relatable,  living breathing boy who goes from being protected from knowing the truth of what is happening on the streets to having his eyes slowly opened to the harsh realities of what it meant for those who took a stand against apartheid. Even as I read I knew this was one I would like to have in my library and not just for Black History Month. It's a year-round book talker. Well, all the books I highlight during this month at our school are year-rounders. BUT, I digress. Here's more on the book:


From Goodreads:

At the rise of South Africa’s anti-apartheid struggle, a boy must face life decisions that test what he believes—and call for no turning back.

South Africa, 1976. Joshua lives with his mother in the maid’s room, in the backyard of their wealthy white employers’ house in the city by the sea. He doesn’t quite understand the events going on around him. But when he rescues a stranger and riots begin to sweep the country, Joshua has to face the world beneath—the world deep inside him—to make heartbreaking choices that will change his life forever. Genuine and quietly unflinching, this beautifully nuanced novel from a veteran journalist captures a child’s-eye view of the struggle that shaped a nation and riveted the world.
 


When sharing this one I will give some historical background. Their teacher will have done that to a certain degree, but between me and the book that knowledge can be deepened into an even more meaningful and empathetic way. The power of story!

Head on back to Shannon Messenger's Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe where she kindly gathers all the Marvelous Middle Grade Monday links for us. 

And if you are looking for even more great recommendations check out:


I plan on joining in on this meme in more detail (as in, share more of my week and weekend reads!) beginning next week. Ta for now!


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great story. I've added it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interested to hear what you think when you get to it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very powerful book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very powerful. I still thinking on this one!

      Delete
  3. IT's interesting that a former journalist was moved to write this story. Thanks for highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting and as you read the depth of her research and knowledge really shows...but not in a way that slows it down, makes it feel like you are being taught. One reviewer did mention there were times when it felt didactic...but I didn't get that, or it wasn't enough to pull me out of the story.

      Delete
  4. This one sounds so powerful and important, and there are not enough books about this subject! Thank you for sharing and linking up!

    Happy reading!
    Kellee @ Unleashing Readers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a perfect book to feature for Black History Month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And you know, I don't have many that cover this as a novel. And..._still_ thinking about it and how much I liked it.

      Delete
  6. This looks like a powerful book about a topic we don't know much about here in Canada. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...