Monday 27 January 2014

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday Calli Be Gold & The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.

Hello and happy MMGM all! I think I am finally, finally back into the blogging swing for 2014.

I would like to introduce you to two of my new favorite middle grade characters. Calli, who I just met and Gregory, who I got to know via my first round middle grade fiction judging for The Cybils. Both are in families that are, to use Calli's words, lopsided in terms of their dynamics. Calli's family are always going for the gold in sports and school and achieving it. Calli is average, or at least thinks she is. No hidden talent, no gift that is loud and obvious. Gregory's family are all about math. Math. Math. Math. Did I mention math? And they are good at it. Really good. Gregory, however, is not. He doesn't even like math. Now, he does know what he is good at and what he loves. It is writing, but it's something he keeps hidden from his family. Both kids are unique and funny and endearing. They share their families with us in ways that makes you feel like you are sitting down to the dinner table with them. Now, I wonder if there is a way to introduce Calli and Gregory to each other? I am sure they would have a lot to talk about. Calli Be Gold and The 14 Fibs of Gregory K are books I am looking forward to sharing with students.





Calli Be Gold by

even-year-old Calli Gold is the quiet third child in a family of loud overachievers. In fact, the family motto is Be Gold. Calli's sister is on an ice-skating team, and her brother's a basketball star. Her parents are sure she has a hidden gift for something. They just have to figure out what it is! But Calli has flopped at everything she's tried. She sure doesn't feel like a Gold.
 Until a new person enters her life. Second grader Noah Zullo might seem strange to some people, but Calli can't help liking him, and they become partners in their school's Peer Helper Program. When they create a booth for the Friendship Fair, they fill it with secrets and surprises. And as Calli and Noah work and learn together, they even surprise themselves.
Michele Weber Hurwitz's debut is an endearing and gently humorous story about the true meaning of achievement and the important things an "ordinary" kid has to offer.
 


The 14 Fibs of Gregory K. by


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogging world, and thanks for the recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, more books I hadn't heard of! Both of these sound great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about The 14 Fibs of Gregory K. but not a lot about Calli Be Gold. Sounds like fun. So what did you think of the ALA Youth Media Awards?? I'm sure Flora & Ulysses deserved the Newbery medal (though I was hoping Counting by 7s would win).

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...