Monday 9 July 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Peace Love and Cupcakes

Happy MMGM all! Today I am sharing the love, love of PEACE LOVE AND CUPAKES by Sheryl Berk and Carrie Berk. Kylie is struggling with the school bully who is also the star of everything. Needless to say this "star" has a whole lot of kids jumping on the band wagon. As if that is not enough Kylie's favorite teacher is moving. In spite of it all this fourth grade, lover of all old movies especially horror starts up a...Cupcake Club to see if she can turn it around. I love that she loves old movies, I love that she has a savy new drama teacher who suspects that Kylie is having a difficult time and is there with some sweet advice and I love that it is about Kylie just being herself. Here's the description from IndieBound.Org. I bolded the last bit which I usually don't include. I totally agree with it. 


Kylie will never survive fourth grade in her new school without friends. And starting a cupcake club seems the perfect way to meet other girls. But getting the club up and running is not easy- especially with trouble spelled M-e-r-e-d-i-t-h trying to ruin them. In taking on the class mean girl, Kylie and her new friends may have just bitten off more than they can chew.  "The Cupcake Club" is the first book in the Peace, Love and Cupcakes series and each book will feature yummy, original cupcake recipes from the story. This fabulous new friendship series is slated to be a sweet success


If you are interested in learning more about this mother and daughter writing team, check out this interview.


Looking for some more MMGM? Check out some of the following blogs. Enjoy the rest of your day!


Shannon Whitney Messenger (a.k.a. Fearless Leader)-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental Novelist 
Shannon O'Donnell-Book Dreaming
Myrna Foster-The Night Writer
Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
Jessica Lei-her blog  
Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty

Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn
Gina Carey

T.L. Conway

14 comments:

  1. A mother/daughter writing team--love that! I haven't heard about this book, Deb, so thank you for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome on highlighting it. Have had it in my to read pile for a while now and so very glad I finally reached it. Well worth the read. And I swear there are enough cupcake books out there it would make a great book list---maybe include cupcake cookbooks in it as well!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a really fun book. Thanks for sharing the review (and the interview). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this book and the mother-daughter writing team. Imagine that Carrie's only 9 yrs old! What talent!

    And cupcakes certainly seem to be everywhere these days: It's Raining Cupcakes, The Cupcake Diaries, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on all the cupcake books! Would be great fun to have a cupcake month for book club---eat n read!

      Delete
  4. I've tried to get one of my daughters to write a novel with me, but so far they're happy with the job of first reader/critiquer!

    Books about cupcakes are great -- I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah...possible future editor/s on your hands!

      Delete
  5. oh, yum - i wonder if reading about cupcakes is as awesome as eating them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! almost....OR....read the book and eat cupcakes. Er, I mean eat a cupcake.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an awesome story with plenty of tension. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a book my daughter might enjoy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great new series for girls. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a cute series and I know my friend's daughter will eat it up! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...