Monday 6 October 2014

MMGM-A Bird on Water Street by Elizabeth O. Dulemba

Greetings all! Before I get to my MMGM post, let me give a shout out to The Cybils. Nominations are now open (until October 15), so do head on over to check it out and get thee to nominating!

For this Monday of Marvelous Middle Grade-ness I would like to tell you about A Bird On Water Street by Elizabeth O. Dulemba.


A Bird on Water Street is a coming of age story about Jack, a boy growing up in a Southern Appalachian town environmentally devastated by a century of poor copper-mining practices and pollution. Jack is opposed to the mine where so many of his relatives have died, but how can he tell that to his Dad who wants him to follow in the family trade? Jack just wants his dad safe and the land returned to its pre-mining glory with trees, birds, frogs, and nature—like he’s learning about in school. After Jack’s uncle is killed in a mining accident and the Company implements a massive layoff, the union organizes and the miners go on strike. It seems Jack’s wish is coming true. But the cost may be the ruin of his home and everything he loves. (from Goodreads)



It took me a moment to wrap my head around the fact that 1986 really is historical and when I was first starting with the library kids like Jack were living in places like Coppertown. Although a quiet, coming of age story the opening chapters pulled me in and kept me reading, wanting to know more about Jack and the place he lived. This was especially so when the town alarm sounded and everyone in town dropped what they were doing to run to the mine.  The author made me feel as if I were there, pushed up against the fence trying to see who was coming up from the mine, trying to see who was hurt. Such a well written, breath holding scene, as was the opening scene where Jack is dared to walk a train trestle.  In other words the opening chapters pulled me along and fully into the story. As the story continued I grew to love this quiet boy and budding environmentalist struggling to find his voice. But, not once did I feel as though I was being taught a lesson. The storytelling is powerful, believable, compelling and natural. Already have plans for the book talk and some students in mind who I know would like this one.

For more MMGM marvelousness head back to Shannon Messenger's. Ta for now!

8 comments:

  1. Love the premise of this one, though I'm not a big fan of the cover. Your review is what convinced me to add this to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find a copy of this anywhere, so I'll have to get on that. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I feel the same way about being stunned that 1986 is historical. I love quiet books but they don't always sell. This sounds lovely.

    And yes, I've already nominated some favorite books for Cybils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a terrific book. I really loved it. I hope it finds a wide readership. It's an important book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds lovely and like the kind of 'quiet' book I can really get in to! However, I am so not swallowing the 80s as historical. ;)

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, 1986 is historical! Now I feel old...lol. I will definitely have to check this one out. Love the concept, and that cover, simple yet so eye-catching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read this one but can't find a copy! Have you thought of a list of books that weren't nominated that you would like to see on our list? If you have time, a post would be great. I put one up today at http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2014/10/need-nominee-for-cybils-mgf-try-one-of.html Nominations close Wednesday, and I'd like to see a lot more books on our list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really interesting. I have enjoyed some other historicals from recent history, like Roseanne Parry's SECOND FIDDLE (early 90s!). But I also thought the combination of environmental issues with the mining was intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...