Saturday 18 October 2014

24 Hour Read-a-thon!

Well...it is over. Got some books read, not as many as I like and I've also determined that in April I want to schedule in more social time. One of the best things about this read-a-thon is the spirit and energy created by those running the event (Heather and Andi of The Estella Society), those participating. Last year, I took part more and think that is what energized me and kept me awake for way longer. Here is the final meme:


  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Nine o'clock I was really dragging my butt and wanting to sleep. Decided to have a power nap around ten...woke up at one...hmmmmm
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I would suggest Tabula Rasa by Kirsten Lippert-Martin. Talk about grab you from the beginning and not let you go! Looking forward to purchasing this one for my library so I can hand it to students who have been asking for just this kind of fast paced action novel. 
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? I honestly have no suggestions. This is so well run and organized...
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Besides everything, I really liked the hourly posts with videos and links to a handful of meme's/challenges. 
  5. How many books did you read? I completed three and have two that I made it halfway through.
  6. What were the names of the books you read? The Great Greene Heist, The Crossover, I Even Funnier, The Magicians, Tabula Rasa, The Dirt Diary
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Crossover, The Dirt Diary and Tabula Rasa
  8. Which did you enjoy least? The Magicians-by mid book the characters were becoming less and less appealing to me, they felt so self-indulgent and directionless which may well be the intent, but it wasn't working for me. 
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Wasn't a cheerleader this year. 
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Will be participating and want to be a cheerleader next time. Really missed being more social this year. Cheerleading helps me (makes me?) get out there!

I am up and at 'em and ready to read. The reading I am doing is a mix of middle grade, young adult and adult fiction.



And here's my answers to the opening meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Canada-Alberta
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Omens by Kelley Armstrong
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? The second stack posted above4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I am a librarian at a junior senior high and also a judge on this years middle grade fiction Cybils Committee. 5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? This is my second time. Tried to get my reading piles ready to go a little earlier so and have them with a wider variety so I can literally pick one book after the other. Got more snacks...of course I started in on them last night. Hopefully I have enough left, ha ha!


GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and HAVE FUN!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck to you, too! I think you made some great choices for readathon; I often read children's books (like today!)

    If you need a little singing boost as you read along: Here's Singing My Way Through the Readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a crazy good way to share your reading during the read-a-thon! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck to you! I'll be with you in spirit, reading my Cybils noms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I fell asleep a tad earlier than I had planned but did get in some good reading, including some cybils nominations. Now I wait for more to arrive from the library...!

      Delete
  3. Way to go, D! Sounds like you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...