Monday 15 February 2016

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday and more with #IMWAYR

It's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday and it's also Family Day here in Alberta. To that end, I thought I would share a couple of my grandson's all-time favourites.  Both were novel studies at school and he has LOVED them ever since (he's ten). In fact he also has them on Audible and has listened and re-listened to them over and over...and over.


William has just received the best present of his life—an old, real-looking stone and wooden model of a castle, with a drawbridge, a moat, and a fingerhigh knight to guard the gates. It’s the mysterious castle his housekeeper has told him about, and even though William is sad she’s leaving, now the castle is his! William can’t wait to play with the castle—he’s certain there’s something magical about it. And sure enough, when he picks up the tiny silver knight, it comes alive in his hand! Sir Simon tells William a mighty story of wild sorcery, wizards, and magic. And suddenly William is off on a fantastic quest to another land and another time—where a fiery dragon and an evil wizard are waiting to do battle. (Goodreads) 



In other Marvelous Middle Grade Monday news I am here to recommend you pick up Baker's Magic by Diane Zahler. I read the e-ARC from Ne Galley.


More from Goodreads:

Bee is an orphan, alone in a poor, crumbling kingdom. In desperation, she steals a bun from a bakery, and to her surprise, the baker offers her a place at his shop. As she learns to bake, Bee discovers that she has a magical power. When a new friend desperately needs her help against an evil mage, Bee wonders what an orphan girl with only a small bit of magic can do. Bee's journey to help her friend becomes a journey to save the kingdom, and a discovery of the meaning of family.


I fell in love with Bee from the first page because I felt her desperation and hunger and I so wanted her to be taken in and cared for. In other words the story grabbed my heart. The uniqueness of her magical power is wonderfully developed and I quite enjoyed seeing how she used it. Add to that a cast of well developed secondary characters who you care for just as much as Bee and this makes for a heart felt read. Needless to say the adventure Bee and her friends end up going on takes it to the next level that will keep young readers turning the page.

Now. On to the more....I've just started taking part in IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING? This is the Children and Young Adult version.  Only had one book adventure last week (see above).

Have a few more planned this week as we are on a break. They include:



That's it from me. Happy Reading everyone!


5 comments:

  1. I love the sound of Baker's Magic!! Definitely on my want-to-read list!

    Happy Family Day (we are celebrating it here in Ontario, too - a great time to catch up on reading).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember being captivated by Castle in the Attic when I was a kid--and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Baker's Magic does sound good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always loved The Castle in the Attic, and my older son did too. In fact, I re-read it this past summer. I hadn't heard of Baker's Magic so thanks for the heads-up. Happy Family Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of The Castle in the Attic - it has a throwback vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing what your grandson likes. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...