Monday 8 September 2014

MMGM-The Fourteenth Goldfish-Jennifer L. Holm

Been gone a wee while and busy with a new job in a junior/senior high school library. It's keeping me busy let me tell you.

Did get some reading done these past while, though. And with that said I am here today to recommend you get on out and read and share The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm. What I would call a contemporary fantasy that will capture a wide range of readers from boys to girls. Yes, the MC is a girl, but in this quirky grandpa turned himself into a teen book the gender of the reader isn't going to matter. It's funny, it's relevant and the writing is so smooth, so skilled that I also think this could be one for reluctant readers. I wanted to start re-read this one the minute I was finished.

Eleven-year-old Ellie has never liked change. She misses fifth grade. She misses her old best friend. She even misses her dearly departed goldfish. Then one day a strange boy shows up. He’s bossy. He’s cranky. And weirdly enough . . . he looks a lot like Ellie’s grandfather, a scientist who’s always been slightly obsessed with immortality. Could this pimply boy really be Grandpa Melvin? Has he finally found the secret to eternal youth? (From Goodreads)

7 comments:

  1. From the looks of the cover I probably wouldn't have picked this one up. Your review and the plot description convinced me otherwise. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too. It is such a fun book with some great messages. Grandpa Melvin is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books where you want to start re-reading the minute you finish. This is definitely going on my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun. I'll be looking for this one, Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read, and what a catchy title! Will have to check this one out.

    Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going on my TBR list. I love Jennifer Holm, and this sounds really intriguing! Thanks for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on Jennifer! And this book just did not disappoint. So impressed with how she can tell a many layered story and yet keep the writing so clean and clear.

      Delete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...