Monday 12 September 2011

Three Writing Reads and A Video

I am plotting out my latest novel. It will be interesting (for me) to see if the energy for writing the story stays the same as when I “pants” a novel--one thing is for sure (er, I hope!) is there will not be as much to clean up as I work through the next drafts. When I take a break from the writing, writing I like to wonder about a look for articles, blogs, tips on writing. Things that resonated with me today, include this:

AdviceToWriters - Home - Use Everything (so true, you do have to include even your best character’s ugly bits. think 3D)

and this:

#Amwriting (dot org) - The Amwriting Community (I have no idea the #amwriting hashtag had a website. How cool! Just all around great to connect with other writers, I say)

and this because it is full of advice:

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers? | Kathy Stinson, Canadian Author of Books for Young People

That’s three writing reads, hope you enjoyed. Up next “A Video”.

One of my favourite youtube series on writing comes from Plot Whisperer for Writers and Readers. And, happily she has started posting her second series which will take you through studying novels and there plots. As you follow along on the series she will refer back to the first set of vids she posted, PLOT A NOVEL, MEMOIR, SCREENPLAY.

marthaalderson's Channel - YouTube

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the helpful links, Deb! I had no idea #amwriting was anything other than a hashtag. Of course I don't tweet very often.

    I'll go check out that video next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Joanne! Thanks for stopping by....and I know on amwriting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using John Truby's The Anatomy of Story to help me plan my new project. I love John's book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, just letting you know if you want to enter my giveaway, you have to fill out the form!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Martha Alderson fan here. I'm someone who would get mired down in tangents and subplots if it weren't for her good, solid structural pointers.

    ReplyDelete

#ReadtheNorth

Over the last while there has been a hashtag you may have seen about called Read the North. It's a campaign encouraging people to read C...